Questions on Weinberg Cosmology Book

In summary, the conversation is about the equations and distributions discussed in chapter 3.1 of Weinberg's Cosmology book. The Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distributions are mentioned, along with equations for energy density and pressure for a particle mass m. The energy-momentum tensor and perfect fluid are also discussed in relation to pressure derivation. The question is about deriving the pressure equation from Eq(3.1.4).
wphysics
I am following up Weinberg Cosmology book, but I have one question.

In chapter 3.1, we have Eq (3.1.3) and (3.1.4)

[itex] s(T) = \frac{\rho(T) + p(T)}{T} [/itex]
[itex] T\frac{dp(T)}{dT} = \rho(T) + p(T) [/itex]

In Eq (3.1.5), we have the Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distributions.

[itex] n(p, T) = \frac{4 \pi g p^2}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \frac{1}{exp(\sqrt{p^2 + m^2} / k_B T) \pm 1} [/itex].

From using this number distribution, the author said we have the energy density and pressure of a particle mass m are given by Eq (3.1.6) and (3.1.7).

[itex] \rho(T) = \int n(p, T) dp \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} [/itex]
[itex] p(T) = \int n(p, T) dp \frac{p^2}{3\sqrt{p^2 + m^2}} [/itex]

Here, energy density is straightforward by the definition of number density.
But, for pressure, the author said it can be derived from Eq(3.1.4), the second equation on this post.

However, I cannot derive this pressure equation using Eq(3.1.4). Can somebody help me do this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My Weinberg seems a lot different from your Weinberg! But tracing through it, here's where the p(T) equation comes from. For a particle (using c = 1), the energy is E = γm and the momentum is p = γmv. Thus p/E = v (Eq.1)

For a system of particles, the energy-momentum tensor is Tμν = ∑n pnμ dxnν/dt δ3(x-xn), or using Eq.1, Tμν = ∑n pnμ pnν/En δ3(x-xn

For a perfect fluid, the spatial components of Tμν are related to the pressure p by Tij = p δij.

Thus p = (1/3) Ʃj Tjj = (1/3) Ʃn pn2/En δ3(x-xn).

This gets you the p2 in the numerator, the E in the denominator, and the 1/3 out front.

1) What is the main focus of Weinberg's Cosmology book?

The main focus of Weinberg's Cosmology book is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of the modern theories and observations of the universe, including its origin, evolution, and structure.

2) What are some of the key topics covered in the book?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including the history of cosmology, the Big Bang model, the early universe, dark matter and dark energy, the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures, and the fate of the universe.

3) How does Weinberg's Cosmology book differ from other books on the subject?

Weinberg's Cosmology book is known for its mathematical rigor and its focus on the theoretical foundations of modern cosmology. It also presents the latest observational data and discusses the implications for cosmological theories.

4) Is this book suitable for non-experts in the field?

While the book is primarily aimed at graduate students and researchers in the field of cosmology, it can also be a valuable resource for non-experts who have a strong background in physics and mathematics.

5) Are there any criticisms of Weinberg's Cosmology book?

Some readers have noted that the book can be quite dense and challenging to read for those without a strong background in physics and mathematics. Additionally, some have criticized Weinberg's personal opinions and biases expressed throughout the book.