Questions Re: Apocalyptic Explosions

• Thread starter Hamhands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosions
In summary: Is this plausibile? It's not clear to me. How do you think the weapons would be deployed? If by aliens, are they benevolent or malevolent?
Hamhands
I'm writing a story set in a futuristic, but post-apocalyptic Earth wherein most of the Earth has been rendered a barren wasteland and humanity, as per the genre, struggles to survive at all.

What I'm not sure of is how to get there. I don't know enough about high-energy/theoretical weapons to decide exactly how this could happen, so hopefully someone here can help me out! I've tried to do a little research but not found satisfactory answers, so bear with me if I get something totally wrong here.

I was initially thinking of antimatter bombs, but the scant research I've done suggests to me that antimatter bombs would be quite "clean" relative to fission bombs, emitting only gamma radiation and lots of heat? If this is accurate, would it be feasible that the right amount of antimatter bombs were detonated around population centers and such that they generated enough heat to drastically alter the Earth's climate? If so, would that kind of heat increase last for a significant period? Say, a few hundred years? If this is believable it would serve my purposes perfectly.

I suppose I could always just go with nuclear winter, but I don't want to fall into the standard radiation tropes and more clean, devastating explosions that set up the world the way I'm picturing would be very convenient. Technology or the difficulty of creating these weapons is irrelevant because they will be deployed by 'sufficiently advanced aliens'. That said, if there's any other wacky theoretical weapons technology stuff that I could use for this effect, that'd be great too.

For anyone who read this whole thing, thank you! For anyone who has an answer, thanks even more!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alternatively, you could just say it was an effect of runaway global warming because no-one is doing anything meaningful about it. :P

What kind of wasteland are we talking about here? Something similar to the nuclear winter, or something "cleaner" such as runaway environment? I say cleaner in the sense of less radiation.

1. What causes apocalyptic explosions?

Apocalyptic explosions can be caused by a variety of factors, including natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, meteor impacts, or extreme weather events. They can also be caused by human activities such as nuclear war, chemical or biological warfare, or industrial accidents.

2. How destructive are apocalyptic explosions?

Apocalyptic explosions can be extremely destructive depending on the size and intensity of the explosion. They can cause widespread devastation, loss of life, and damage to infrastructure and the environment.

3. Can apocalyptic explosions be predicted?

Some apocalyptic explosions, such as volcanic eruptions, can be predicted to some extent using scientific monitoring techniques. However, other events such as nuclear war or meteor impacts may not be predictable.

4. What are the potential consequences of apocalyptic explosions?

The consequences of apocalyptic explosions can vary greatly depending on the cause and scale of the explosion. They can include widespread destruction, loss of life, environmental impacts, and long-term effects on human health and society.

5. How can we prepare for apocalyptic explosions?

Preparation for apocalyptic explosions can involve emergency planning, building structures that can withstand explosions, and creating disaster kits with essential supplies. However, the best way to prepare is to prevent these events from happening in the first place through global cooperation, responsible use of resources, and avoiding activities that could lead to catastrophic explosions.