Questions regarding permutations .

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary: If the first digit is 1 (this is the "hard" case), the second digit can be any of 0, 2, 3, 4, or 5. If the second digit is 2, the third digit can be any of 3, 4, 5, or 6. Etc.
sankalpmittal
Questions regarding "permutations".

Homework Statement

These two mini questions , I think , can be adjusted in one thread itself.

1. How many total 5-digit numbers divisible by 6 can be formed using 0,1,2,3,4,5 if repetition of digits is not allowed ?

2. In the decimal system of numeration , find the number of 6-digit numbers in which the digit in any place is greater than the digit to the left of it.

Homework Equations

Concepts of permutations...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok , so for the first one ,

I made the cases as follows...

For the divisibility by 6, the number should be divisible by 3 as well as 2.

Case 1: Fix "0" at the end. The the sum can be 1+2+3+4+5 = 15
I have to fill like this : __ __ __ __ 0
Here 4 places have to be filled such that the sum yields the multiple of 3. If I subtract a number say x from 15 , I must get a multiple of 3 which is possible when x=3.
Thus Permutations = 4! = 24

Case 2 : Fix "2" at the end.
__ __ __ __ 2
The sum can be : 1+0+3+4+5 = 13
I must have , 13-x = a multiple of 3
So , x=1 , or x= 4

Thus , permutations : 3x3x2x1 = 18
As there are two sub cases , so Required permutations :18x2 = 36

Case 3 : Fix "4".
__ __ __ __ 4
The sum can be : 1+2+3+0+5 = 11
I must have , 11-x = a multiple of 3
So , x=2 , x=5

Thus here also Permutations = 36 (as there are two sub cases)

Thus total Permutations : 36+36+24 = 96 , but answer given is 108 ! How ?

For second one , I attempted for over 3 pages but failed ! I don't know how to do this !

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

sankalpmittal said:

Homework Statement

These two mini questions , I think , can be adjusted in one thread itself.

1. How many total 5-digit numbers divisible by 6 can be formed using 0,1,2,3,4,5 if repetition of digits is not allowed ?

2. In the decimal system of numeration , find the number of 6-digit numbers in which the digit in any place is greater than the digit to the left of it.

Homework Equations

Concepts of permutations...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok , so for the first one ,

I made the cases as follows...

For the divisibility by 6, the number should be divisible by 3 as well as 2.
Yes, and that means that the digits must sum to a multiple of 3 and the last digit must be even- 0, 2, or 4.

[/quote]Case 1: Fix "0" at the end. The the sum can be 1+2+3+4+5 = 15
I have to fill like this : __ __ __ __ 0
Here 4 places have to be filled such that the sum yields the multiple of 3. If I subtract a number say x from 15 , I must get a multiple of 3 which is possible when x=3.[/quote]
Okay, so the first four digits must be 1, 2, 4, 5, in any order.

Thus Permutations = 4! = 24
Right.

Case 2 : Fix "2" at the end.
__ __ __ __ 2
The sum can be : 1+0+3+4+5 = 13
I must have , 13-x = a multiple of 3
So , x=1 , or x= 4
So with x= 1, the four digits must be 0, 3, 4, 5 but 0 cannot be the leading digit so there are 3(3!)= 18 as you say. With x= 4, the four digits must be 0, 1, 3, 5 and the same as before totaling 36.

Thus , permutations : 3x3x2x1 = 18
As there are two sub cases , so Required permutations :18x2 = 36
Yes.

Case 3 : Fix "4".
as last digit.
__ __ __ __ 4
The sum can be : 1+2+3+0+5 = 11
I must have , 11-x = a multiple of 3
So , x=2 , x=5

Thus here also Permutations = 36 (as there are two sub cases)

I don't believe you have done anything wrong. I think 96 is the correct answer.

For second one , I attempted for over 3 pages but failed ! I don't know how to do this !

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:
Looks like pretty much "brute strength". If the first digit is 1 (this is the "hard" case), the second digit can be any of 0, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It cannot be any larger than 5 because then there won't be four larger digits to follow. If the second digit is 2, the third digit can be any of 3, 4, 5, or 6. Etc.

HallsofIvy said:
Looks like pretty much "brute strength". If the first digit is 1 (this is the "hard" case), the second digit can be any of 0, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It cannot be any larger than 5 because then there won't be four larger digits to follow. If the second digit is 2, the third digit can be any of 3, 4, 5, or 6. Etc.

Ok , but I have tried the so called "brute strength" , and have already filled 3-4 pages of my copy. It becomes too long.

Can you suggest me any other way ? We get only 2-3 minutes of time in exam to solve such questions.

Hi sankalp! :smile:

sankalpmittal said:

I agree with HoI, I believe 96 is the correct answer.

Suppose you pick 6 different digits and sort them.
How many possibilities?
And how many of those start with a zero? Because those won't count.

You need to make five-digit numbers, so one of the six is not used. The number is divisible by three, so the sum of its digits must be divisible by 3. 0+1+2+3+4+5 = 15 is divisible, you can only left out 0 and 3.

If you choose 1,2,3,4,5, 2 or 4 can be on the last place. How many possibilities you have to fill the other four places?

If you choose 0,1,2,4,5, 0 the last digit should be 0, 2 or 4. Three cases to investigate.

ehild

I like Serena said:
Hi sankalp! :smile:
I agree with HoI, I believe 96 is the correct answer.

Hii ILS ! :smile:

(It has been a long time right ?)

Alright may be there is a misprint in the answer given in my booklet for the first question , I asked here.

Suppose you pick 6 different digits and sort them.
How many possibilities?

10C6 right ? Because we have sorted all the permutations.

And how many of those start with a zero? Because those won't count.

So if I leave 0 , the combinations become 9C6.
And yes 9C6 is the required answer ! :smile:

Thanks ILS !

@ehild
You need to make five-digit numbers, so one of the six is not used. The number is divisible by three, so the sum of its digits must be divisible by 3. 0+1+2+3+4+5 = 15 is divisible, you can only left out 0 and 3.

If you choose 1,2,3,4,5, 2 or 4 can be on the last place. How many possibilities you have to fill the other four places?

If you choose 0,1,2,4,5, 0 the last digit should be 0, 2 or 4. Three cases to investigate.ehild

Hii ehild ! :smile:
I already did the first question , and it has been point out correct by Halls of Ivy and ILS.

sankalpmittal said:
Hii ehild ! :smile:
I already did the first question , and it has been point out correct by Halls of Ivy and ILS.
Except, Halls of Ivy and ILS both agreed with your 96. Following ehild's analysis (with which I agree) 108 is right: 48 leaving out 0, plus 72 leaving out 3 and allowing a leading zero, minus 12 with leading zero.

haruspex said:
Except, Halls of Ivy and ILS both agreed with your 96. Following ehild's analysis (with which I agree) 108 is right: 48 leaving out 0, plus 72 leaving out 3 and allowing a leading zero, minus 12 with leading zero.

Yes, 108 is the correct result. Leaving out zero, and putting 2 or 4 as the last digit, you get 4! possibilities for each, that is 2*24 = 48.

Leaving out 3 the last digit can be 0 and the permutations of 4 for the other digits. Or the last digit can be either 2 or 4. Then you can choose 3 numbers as the first digit (0 is excluded) and 3! possibilities for the other digits: 4!+2*3*3! = 60

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, 108 is the correct result. Leaving out zero, and putting 2 or 4 as the last digit, you get 4! possibilities for each, that is 2*24 = 48.

Leaving out 3 the last digit can be 0 and the permutations of 4 for the other digits. Or the last digit can be either 2 or 4. Then you can choose 3 numbers as the first digit (0 is excluded) and 3! possibilities for the other digits: 4!+2*3*3! = 60

ehild

Oh ! I made a mistake.. When I made case 1 and case 2 , I forgot to add the digit which I fixed at the end. Thanks for your efforts !

:smile:

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of elements in a specific order. In mathematics, it refers to the number of possible ways to arrange a set of objects.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation involves arranging elements in a specific order, while a combination is the selection of elements without regard to their order. Permutations also consider the repetition of elements, while combinations do not.

How do I calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. This formula is also known as the "n choose r" formula.

What is meant by "without repetition" in permutations?

Permutations without repetition means that each element can only be used once in the arrangement. This is different from permutations with repetition, where an element can be used multiple times in the arrangement.

What are some real-world applications of permutations?

Permutations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. Some real-world applications include analyzing DNA sequences, creating secure passwords, and organizing data in databases.