Questions regarding relativistic momentum

In summary, the conversation is about a derivation for relativistic momentum and how it can be simplified by using four-vectors. The first equation calculates the mass of the red ball in terms of the relative x-velocity, while the second equation ignores the relativistic effects of y-velocities. This is achieved by setting the y-velocities for both the red and blue balls to zero. The conversation concludes by suggesting to learn about four-vectors, which is a simpler and more widely applicable approach.
nos
Hi everyone,

I found a derivation for relativistic momentum on this page:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special_Relativity/Dynamics

I understand it all the way through, except the point where they have come to this equation.

m[itex]_{red} = [/itex][itex]\frac{m_{blue}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{u(x,r)}{c})^{2}}}[/itex]

Where(as I understand correctly) mblue is the mass according to the frame moving at the same x-velocity as the blue ball and where mred is the mass of the red ball according to the frame moving with the same x-velocity as the blue ball.

Then they go to:

M =[itex]\frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{u}{c})^{2}}}[/itex]

Where u is now the relative velocity of the red ball for the moving frame.
But that is what I don't understand. How can they suddenly ignore the relativistic effects of the y-velocities? The first equation gives the mass of red ball in terms of the relative x-velocity of the red ball. Then how do they get to relativistic mass in terms of the relative velocity u? Because ux,red is only the x component velocity and ured has both a x-component and y-component.

This is my hypothesis:

They let both uy,red and uy, blue approach zero. So that the mass of the blue ball will correspond to the rest mass and that the relativistic effects of the y-velocities will cancel.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Questions regarding relativistic momentum

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that describes the motion and energy of an object at high speeds, approaching the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum is based on Newton's laws of motion and only applies to objects moving at slow speeds. Relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, which become significant at high speeds.

3. Can an object have infinite relativistic momentum?

No, according to the laws of special relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light, and therefore cannot have infinite relativistic momentum.

4. How is relativistic momentum calculated?

Relativistic momentum is calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum has many applications in modern physics, including in particle accelerators, nuclear reactions, and in understanding the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as spacecraft and cosmic rays.