Questions related to Carmichael number

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the repetition trick is not feasible for testing Carmichael numbers with large prime factors, and the Chinese remainder theorem can be used to choose an appropriate interval for the value of $a$ in the proof of the lemma.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am reading about Carmichael numbers, and I have some questions about it.

First of all, in my notes it says the following.

If a Carmichael number is fed into the Fermat test, the probability that the wrong answer is given is

$$\frac{\phi(n)-2}{n-3}> \prod_{p \mid n, p \text{ prime} } \left( 1-\frac{1}{p} \right)$$

This bound is annoyingly close to $1$ if $n$ has only few and large prime factors.

The repetition trick does not help here either, since if the smallest prime factor of a Carmichael number $n$ is $p_0$, and $n$ has only $3$ or $4$ factors,then $\Omega(p_0)$ repetitions are necessary to make the error probability smaller than $\frac{1}{2}$. This is unfeasible as soon as $p_0$ has more than $20$ decimal digits, say.My first question is about this part: This is unfeasible as soon as $p_0$ has more than $20$ decimal digits, say.

Why is it unfeasible, given that the size of $p_0$ will be smaller than this of $n$ ?

My second question is about the proof of the lemma that a Carmichael number $n$ is a product of at least $3$ distinct prime factors. We suppose that $n=p^k \cdot m$, for some $k \geq 2$ and $(m,p)=1$. And, according to my notes, for $m \geq 3$ we may choose some $a, 1 \leq a<p^2 \cdot m\leq n$, with

$$a \equiv 1+p \pmod{p^2} \\ a \equiv 1 \pmod{m}$$

So does this mean that if we have some $n=c^i\cdot b^j$ where $(c,b)=1$ that we can choose the interval at which some $a$ that we get from the Chinese remainder theorem, belongs ? i.e. we choose some $k_1$ and $k_2$ so that $1 \leq a< c^{k_1} b^{k_2} $ and

$$a \equiv \text{ something } \pmod{c^{k_1}} \\
a \equiv \text{ something else } \pmod{b^{k_2}}$$

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your questions about Carmichael numbers. I will do my best to answer them.

To address your first question, it is unfeasible to use the repetition trick when the smallest prime factor of a Carmichael number is larger than 20 decimal digits because the number of repetitions needed to reduce the error probability to less than 1/2 would be extremely large. This would make the testing process too time-consuming and impractical. Additionally, even though the size of $p_0$ may be smaller than that of $n$, the repetition trick still requires multiple repetitions, which can quickly become unmanageable when dealing with large numbers.

For your second question, the Chinese remainder theorem can indeed be used to choose an appropriate interval for the value of $a$. However, it is important to note that the values of $k_1$ and $k_2$ should be chosen carefully to ensure that the interval is not too large. This is because a larger interval may result in a larger value for $a$, which may not satisfy the congruence conditions. Therefore, the values of $k_1$ and $k_2$ should be chosen such that the interval is as small as possible while still satisfying the congruence conditions. I hope this helps clarify your doubts about the proof of the lemma.

1. What is a Carmichael number?

A Carmichael number is a composite number that satisfies the Carmichael's theorem, which states that for any Carmichael number n, the following equation is true: a^n ≡ a (mod n) for all positive integers a.

2. How do you identify a Carmichael number?

To identify a Carmichael number, you can use the Miller-Rabin primality test or the Fermat primality test. These tests check if the number satisfies the Carmichael's theorem and if it does, then it is a Carmichael number.

3. What is the significance of Carmichael numbers?

Carmichael numbers are important in cryptography as they can be used to generate strong pseudoprimes, which are numbers that pass the Fermat primality test but are not actually prime. They also have applications in number theory and can help in finding solutions to certain equations.

4. Are there infinitely many Carmichael numbers?

Yes, there are infinitely many Carmichael numbers. However, their density decreases as the numbers get larger, making them relatively rare.

5. Can Carmichael numbers be used in encryption?

While Carmichael numbers can be used to generate strong pseudoprimes, they are not commonly used in modern encryption algorithms. This is because they are relatively rare and can also be easily identified and factored by advanced algorithms.