Quick and easy question about what symbols to use (I already solved the problem)

• Thread starter twisted079
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the problem involves an aluminum ring placed around a long air-core solenoid with a smaller radius. The solenoid produces a field that is half as strong at the end compared to the center, and has negligible field outside its cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate ΔI/Δt and can be calculated using the equations A=π(r2)^2, ε=dΦ/dt=(1/2)μ0nπ(r2)^2, and I=ε/R. The symbol I represents the current in the solenoid at the increasing rate ΔI/Δt.
twisted079

Homework Statement

An aluminum ring of radius r1 and resistance R is placed around the top of a long air-core solenoid with n turns per meter and smaller radius r2 as shown in Figure P31.7. Assume that the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid over the area of the end of the solenoid is half as strong as at the center of the solenoid. Assume that the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of ΔI / Δt.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A=pi(r2)2
ε=d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dt = (1/2)μ0n[pi(r2)2](current in solenoid at increasing rate)
I = ε/R

I solved this problem using numbers using the same equations I have. I don't know what symbols to use to represent "current in solenoid at increasing rate". I tried ΔI / Δt - didnt work. I tried dI/dt - didnt work. I am entering the formula into a website and it has to take it strictly which is really ticking me off because I know how to do these types of problems but don't know "what they are looking for" ... grrr, someone please help me or give me suggestions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The current in the solenoid is given by the symbol I. It is increasing at a rate ΔI/Δt.

Hope that helps (if not then please post again to clarify what you are asking).

Related to Quick and easy question about what symbols to use (I already solved the problem)

1. What symbols should I use for representing numbers and variables?

For numbers, the most commonly used symbols are the digits 0 to 9. For variables, letters of the alphabet are often used, with x, y, and z being the most common choices. However, any symbol can be used as long as it is clearly defined and consistent throughout the problem.

2. Can I use special characters as symbols in my equation?

Yes, special characters such as Greek letters or mathematical symbols can be used as symbols in equations. However, it is important to make sure that the intended meaning of the symbol is clear and consistent with its use in the equation.

3. How do I choose symbols for different operations, such as addition and multiplication?

For basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, standard symbols (+, -, ×, ÷) are commonly used. For more complex operations, it is best to use symbols that are commonly used in the field of study or to define them clearly before using them in the problem.

4. Should I use symbols or words in my equation?

Using symbols can make equations more concise and easier to read, but it is important to use them correctly and consistently. If the equation is simple and easy to understand using only words, then it is fine to use words instead of symbols.

5. Can I use the same symbol to represent different variables in a single equation?

No, each symbol should represent a different variable in an equation to avoid confusion. If two variables are related, they can be represented by different symbols with a clear explanation of their relationship in the problem.