Quick idea on the make-up of matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of matter existing in a constant state of matter and energy, eliminating the need for 11 dimensions in m-theory. The speaker also mentions the idea of wave-particle duality and suggests that energy may not always be in the form of matter. However, others in the conversation point out that these ideas lack evidence and do not offer a concrete theory. The conversation is ultimately closed for moderation as it delves into philosophical rather than scientific concepts.
CIANSA
I'm just throwing out and idea when I say this, but what if matter isn't made up of point particles or 1 dimensional strings at all? What if matter is constantly in a state of energy and matter? This would eliminate the 11 dimensions needed for m-theory,which would keep us at the good ol' 4 dimensions that we all know and love, and is very much like the idea of wave-particle duality. The math is already there, e=mc^2, why not put the conversion to work? Again, just throwing thoughts out there, so feedback on why this wouldn't work would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if matter is constantly in a state of energy and matter?
Or, on the other hand, what if energy is constantly in a state of matter and energy? You're not making any sense.

I'm no expert (obviosuly), but Bill_K is right, this doesn't make any sense. CIANSA is basically saying, "What if apples were really apples and oranges?" What is that supposed to mean?

I'm just saying that matter isn't ever really just matter, it is ALWAYS in a state of matter and energy.

CIANSA said:
I'm just saying that matter isn't ever really just matter, it is ALWAYS in a state of matter and energy.

Yes, I think everyone gets what you are saying, what YOU don't seem to get is that it isn't particularly meaningful.

It might explain the complete make-up of matter, instead of using 0 dimensional point particles or 1 dimensional lines.

CIANSA said:
It might explain the complete make-up of matter, instead of using 0 dimensional point particles or 1 dimensional lines.

Yes, and unicorns might exist, but as far as I know, they don't.

You are going to have to come up with a LOT more than just throwing some words together to get anyone to take this seriously.

I know, I was just wondering if it was even a possibility.

CIANSA said:
I know, I was just wondering if it was even a possibility.

Is WHAT a possiblity? You have thrown out some words in a way that doesn't seem to make sense and you have not offered any actual theory.

Look I'm NOT trying to give you a hard time on this but you really are just tossing out words. You need to be a LOT more specific about what it is that you think could be happening.

I'm just thinking about the possibility that matter exists in a matter-energy duality of sorts and if it appears as matter or energy at a given time is completely dependant on the situation, much like wave-particle duality.

No.
Matter always has energy, but energy does not have to be "matter" with the common meaning of that word.

In addition, your statements are just words. Can you show how your concepts would/might change/influence/predict any physical process?
Physics is not philosophy.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Related to Quick idea on the make-up of matter

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. This includes all of the physical substances and objects that we can see and touch, such as plants, animals, water, and air.

2. What is the make-up of matter?

Matter is composed of tiny particles called atoms. These atoms combine to form molecules, which are the building blocks of all substances. The specific arrangement and types of atoms in a molecule determine the properties of the substance.

3. How many elements make up all matter?

There are currently 118 known elements, but only 94 occur naturally on Earth. These elements combine in various ways to create all of the different substances and materials that we encounter in our daily lives.

4. What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solid matter has a fixed shape and volume, while liquid matter has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container. Gas matter has neither a fixed shape nor volume and will fill the space it is given.

5. Can matter be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of matter in the universe remains constant, even as it undergoes physical and chemical changes.