(quick) Matlab fprintf question

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter astropi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, when you try to save a file in Matlab using the command "fileID = fopen('x.txt');", you get an error that says "Invalid file identifier. Use fopen to generate a valid file identifier." To save the file, you need to specify the permission, which is related to what you want to do with the file (read it, write to it, and so on).
astropi
I have output (stored in variable "x") that I want saved into a simple text file. If I use the command:

fprintf('%d\n',x);

it prints the data in a nice column. This is what I want. Then to save it to a file I try this:

fileID = fopen('x.txt');
fprintf('%d\n',x);
fclose(fileID);

however Matlab does not like this. When I searched the help file, it gave a similar example, so what am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try specifying the file ID as the first parameter.

fileID = fopen('x.txt');
fprintf(fileID,'%d\n',x);

uart said:
Try specifying the file ID as the first parameter.

fileID = fopen('x.txt');
fprintf(fileID,'%d\n',x);

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it did not work. I still get this error from Matlab:

Error using fprintf
Invalid file identifier. Use fopen to generate a valid file identifier.

when I try my code:

fileID = fopen('x.txt');
fprintf('%d\n',x);
fclose(fileID);

the error I get is:

Error using fclose

I still can't figure out why?

When you open the file, you need to specify the permission, which is related to what you want to do with the file (read it, write to it, and so on).

Here's a link to some documentation for fopen: http://amath.colorado.edu/computing/Matlab/OldTechDocs/ref/fopen.html .Try this:
Code:
fileID = fopen('x.txt', 'wt');
fprintf('%d\n',x);
fclose(fileID);

I don't have MATLAB, so can't verify that this will work, but I think it will.

Last edited by a moderator:
astropi said:
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it did not work. I still get this error from Matlab:

Error using fprintf

when I try my code:

fileID = fopen('x.txt');
fprintf('%d\n',x);
fclose(fileID);

the error I get is:

Error using fclose

I still can't figure out why?
Ok, well in that case it appears that your problem is with the fopen statement (BTW. Is there any particular reason why you didn't post the actual error message in the first place!)

Try letting it know that the file doesn't currently exit and that you wish to create it.

fileID = fopen('x.txt','w');

This tells it that you want to open the file for writing.

uart said:
Ok, well in that case it appears that your problem is with the fopen statement (BTW. Is there any particular reason why you didn't post the actual error message in the first place!)

Try letting it know that the file doesn't currently exit and that you wish to create it.

fileID = fopen('x.txt','w');

This tells it that you want to open the file for writing.

Thanks! I really can't think of why I did not post the error in the first place, except that I've not had much sleep :)

Edit: OK, got it! Thanks everyone for the help!

1. What is the purpose of the fprintf function in Matlab?

The fprintf function in Matlab is used to print formatted data to a file or the command window. It allows for precise control over the formatting of the output, including the placement of text, numerical values, and special characters.

2. How do I use the fprintf function to print to a file?

To print to a file using the fprintf function, you must first open the file using the fopen function, specifying the file name and the desired file mode. Then, use the fprintf function to write the desired data to the file, using the file handle as the first input argument. Finally, close the file using the fclose function.

3. Can I use the fprintf function to print to the command window?

Yes, the fprintf function can be used to print to the command window by specifying 'stdout' as the file handle. This is useful for displaying formatted output to the user.

4. How do I format my output using the fprintf function?

The fprintf function uses a formatting string to specify the layout of the output. This string can include special characters, such as %d for integers or %f for floating-point numbers, to indicate where and how the data should be printed. See the Matlab documentation for a full list of formatting options.

5. Can I use the fprintf function to print multiple lines of output?

Yes, the fprintf function can be used to print multiple lines of output by including newline characters (\n) in the formatting string or by calling the function multiple times. Additionally, the fprintf function supports the use of the sprintf function, which returns a formatted string instead of printing the output, allowing for more flexibility in printing multiple lines of output.