Quick question about explosions and displacement

In summary, understanding waves reveals that they typically cause momentary displacement of atoms before returning to their original position. Intuitively, it is believed that if a pressure wave in one gas encounters a different gas with a similar density, the latter would not move significantly. However, when considering the effect of an explosion, such as from a nuclear bomb, on a cloud, it seems that the cloud would indeed experience some movement. This can be observed in the first few seconds of a video where the blast wave hits the smoke, causing it to move.
DarkBabylon
Understanding waves typically don't displace atoms but momentarily and then they move back into place, my intuition tells me that if a pressure wave on a certain gas meets a slightly different gas but with a similar density, the different gas wouldn't move dramatically due to the pressure wave.
Is this correct or am I missing something (except the obvious math) which will say otherwise?

Specifically, can an explosion, such as that from a nuke, move a cloud?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the behavior of the smoke in the first few seconds of the following clip, I'd say "yes". Watch what happens when the blast wave hits them.

Edit: To clarify, I think the cloud would move some, but not much.

1. How do explosions work?

Explosions occur when a sudden release of energy causes a rapid expansion of gases, creating a shockwave that travels outward. This release of energy can be caused by chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, or mechanical forces.

2. What factors determine the size of an explosion?

The size of an explosion is determined by the amount of energy released, the speed of the reaction, and the environment in which the explosion occurs. Other factors such as the type and amount of explosive material and the confinement of the explosion can also play a role.

3. Can explosions displace objects?

Yes, explosions can displace objects by creating a shockwave that travels through the air and exerts force on surrounding objects. The amount of displacement depends on the strength of the explosion and the distance from the source.

4. How does displacement caused by explosions affect the surrounding area?

The displacement caused by explosions can have destructive effects on the surrounding area. It can damage buildings, structures, and other objects, as well as cause injuries or fatalities to living beings. The extent of the damage depends on the size and strength of the explosion and the proximity of objects to the source.

5. Can explosions be controlled or prevented?

Explosions can be controlled or prevented by following proper safety measures and regulations, such as storing and handling explosive materials correctly and conducting regular maintenance and inspections on equipment. However, some explosions, such as natural disasters or accidents, cannot be completely prevented.