Quick question about Lagrange's theorem

• I
  • Thread starter TeethWhitener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the proof of Lagrange's theorem involves using the concept of left cosets of a subgroup in a group. By showing that all cosets have the same number of elements, it can be proven that the order of the subgroup divides the order of the group. It is not necessary to find a bijection between an arbitrary coset and the subgroup, as showing equality between any two cosets is sufficient.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was looking at the proof of Lagrange's theorem (that the order of a group ##G## is a multiple of the order of any given subgroup ##H##) in Wikipedia:

This can be shown using the concept of left cosets of ##H## in ##G##. The left cosets are the equivalence classes of a certain equivalence relation on ##G## and therefore form a partition of ##G##. Specifically, ##x## and ##y## in ##G## are related if and only if there exists ##h## in ##H## such that ##x = yh##. If we can show that all cosets of ##H## have the same number of elements, then each coset of ##H## has precisely ##|H|## elements. We are then done since the order of ##H## times the number of cosets is equal to the number of elements in ##G##, thereby proving that the order of ##H## divides the order of ##G##. Now, if ##aH## and ##bH## are two left cosets of ##H##, we can define a map ##f : aH \rightarrow bH## by setting ##f(x) = ba^{-1}x##. This map is bijective because its inverse is given by ##f^{-1}(y)=ab^{-1}y##

I understand this proof fine, but I was wondering, instead of finding a bijection between cosets, is it enough to find a bijection between an arbitrary coset ##gH## and the subgroup ##H##? So, for instance, we have a map ##f: gH \rightarrow H##, where ##f(x) = g^{-1}x##. The map is bijective, with inverse ##f^{-1}(y) = gy##. Is there anything wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
TeethWhitener said:
I understand this proof fine, but I was wondering, instead of finding a bijection between cosets, is it enough to find a bijection between an arbitrary coset ##gH## and the subgroup ##H##? So, for instance, we have a map ##f: gH \rightarrow H##, where ##f(x) = g^{-1}x##. The map is bijective, with inverse ##f^{-1}(y) = gy##. Is there anything wrong with this?
No. Whether you show ##|aH|=|bH|## for arbitrary ##a\, , \, b## or ##|aH|=|H|=|eH|## for all ##a## doesn't make a difference. And ##"="## is transitive. It's simply a matter of taste.

Likes TeethWhitener
Cool, thanks.

1. What is Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem, also known as the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups, is a fundamental result in algebraic group theory. It states that the order of any subgroup of a finite group divides the order of the group.

2. What is the significance of Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem has many important applications in mathematics, especially in the study of finite groups. It helps us understand the structure of a group by providing information about its subgroups.

3. How is Lagrange's theorem related to cyclic groups?

Lagrange's theorem is closely related to cyclic groups, as it tells us that the order of a subgroup of a cyclic group must be a divisor of the order of the group. This allows us to determine the possible orders of subgroups in a cyclic group.

4. Can Lagrange's theorem be extended to infinite groups?

No, Lagrange's theorem only applies to finite groups. There is a similar result, called Cauchy's theorem, which applies to infinite groups.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem has applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. For example, it is used in coding theory to determine the error-correcting capabilities of certain codes.