Quick question about magnetic fields

In summary, to find the total force experienced by a rectangular loop in the z = 0 plane, you can use the torque equation and integrate it for all four sides of the rectangle. You will also need to know the expression for the electromagnetic force, which contains a cross product. After integrating for each side, you can add the resulting vectors to find the total force.
formulajoe
given that B = (6x, -9y, 3z) find the total force experienced by a rectangular loop in the z = 0 plane.
1<x<3
1<y<2

i used the torque equation, but my question is if i have to do the integration for all 4 sides of the rectangle.
T = int(dl cross B)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it,what's the curreent in the loop?

Daniel.

oh yea, there's 5 A in the counterclockwise direction

Okay,then.U know the expression for the electromagnetic force (the one containing the cross product) in diff.form.Apply it for the 4 sides of the rectangle and do those integrations (u need them,because the field is not constant) .Then simply add the 4 resulting vectors...

Daniel.

Related to Quick question about magnetic fields

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic properties of certain materials.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields can be created by moving electric charges, such as in a wire carrying current, or by the intrinsic magnetic properties of certain materials, such as iron or cobalt.

3. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

4. How do magnetic fields affect objects?

Magnetic fields can exert a force on objects that are sensitive to magnetism, such as iron or steel. This force can either attract or repel the object, depending on the orientation of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications, from everyday objects like magnets and compasses, to more advanced technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. They are also used in generators and motors to produce electricity and in magnetic storage devices like hard drives.