Quick question on coupled pendulum kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation is discussing the kinetic energy term for a coupled pendulum system. The speaker notes that there are no \dot{y} terms in the kinetic energy, despite the masses being connected by a spring. They also point out that in the first normal mode, the masses should move like regular pendulums, which do have a \dot{y} component in their kinetic energy. The speaker is confused about this discrepancy and questions why there are only \dot{x} terms for kinetic energy. A link is provided for further reference, but the other person in the conversation cannot see how the diagram relates to the given variables.
cmackeen
I have found that the kinetic energy term for each mass on a coupled (by a spring) pendulum has no [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] terms, as in the the masses do not move in the y direction at all. What am I missing here? I know they are connected, but in the first normal mode, both masses should move like regular pendulums. Regular pendulums have a [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] component in their kinetic energy, so why are there only [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] terms for kinetic energy? Provided link below

http://csirnetphysics.blogspot.com/2012/11/classical-mechanics-question-1.html

In this diagram, x_1 and x_2 correspond to each mass (m_1 and m_2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see any correspondence between the diagram and your variables. What are x1 and x2? I don't see any mention of y throughout the derivation.

Related to Quick question on coupled pendulum kinetic energy

What is a coupled pendulum?

A coupled pendulum is a system composed of two or more interconnected pendulums that are able to move and oscillate together.

How is kinetic energy related to coupled pendulums?

In a coupled pendulum system, the kinetic energy is the energy of motion that each pendulum possesses as it swings back and forth. The kinetic energy is transferred between the pendulums as they move together.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a coupled pendulum?

The kinetic energy of a coupled pendulum is affected by factors such as the mass of the pendulums, the length of the pendulums, and the amplitude of their oscillations.

How is kinetic energy calculated in a coupled pendulum system?

The kinetic energy of a coupled pendulum can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the pendulum and v is the velocity of its motion.

What is the significance of kinetic energy in coupled pendulum experiments?

The kinetic energy in coupled pendulum experiments is important because it helps to understand the transfer of energy between the pendulums and the relationship between their movements. It also plays a role in determining the stability and behavior of the system.