Quick Question: Switching Fields in PhD

In summary: I contacted him. Turns out he was retiring and offered me the job! In summary, if you're feeling lost and don't know what to do with your life, you should consider switching to an engineering program while in grad school.
Broccoli21
I am a senior physics BS student, applying to programs in condensed matter and high energy physics at the moment. However, I have always been interested in doing an MS in EE. Its sort of late this year though, and I can't apply for EE programs now. But that got me thinking: is it possible to start my PhD program in physics, and then switch to engineering while in grad school? What is the process for this? Do I re-apply?

I know it sounds bad, but I don't know what to do with my life at the moment. I'm hoping that I might learn if physics grad school is for me, by doing a year of it. So I guess I'm just wondering the possibility and possible issues of swapping to EE MS (or PhD even) programs, after having completed a year of physics PhD program.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Broccoli21 said:
: is it possible to start my PhD program in physics, and then switch to engineering while in grad school?

In general, no. One applies to the EE department like anyone else, and starts from the beginning. Be aware that if you don't have the EE prerequisites, this will be harder than if you do.

My wife got an M.Sc. in physics, then started a Ph.D. in physics (in Canada, completing a Master's before starting a Ph.D is common), before switching to a Master's in material science engineering at another university.

George Jones said:
My wife got an M.Sc. in physics, then started a Ph.D. in physics (in Canada, completing a Master's before starting a Ph.D is common), before switching to a Master's in material science engineering at another university.
Nice. Was she in a related field of physics?

Vanadium 50 said:
In general, no. One applies to the EE department like anyone else, and starts from the beginning. Be aware that if you don't have the EE prerequisites, this will be harder than if you do.
Thanks, so I would have to re-apply to school, but for EE. Would waiting another year then applying to EE programs be better than doing this? I'm not sure if schools would see dropping out of a PhD program to start a different one, as good.

Broccoli21 said:
Nice. Was she in a related field of physics?Thanks, so I would have to re-apply to school, but for EE. Would waiting another year then applying to EE programs be better than doing this? I'm not sure if schools would see dropping out of a PhD program to start a different one, as good.

I dropped out of one PhD program to start another one with no problem. Happens all the time. At the PhD level "fit" is everything.

You can ask around the department you go to if students work with professors in other departments. At my school I know of some physics doing research in the EE department as well as others.

I have a physics friend who got accepted in an EE MS program this past year (he started it in the fall). He had to take some prerequisites in EE though. I think he took Circuits I, Circuits II, Electronics I, Signal Processing I and Physical Electronics (this probably wasn't needed with his strong physics background but he wants to go into semiconductors). So he took 12-15 credits of prerequisites, which isn't that bad since he pretty much just took one EE class his junior year till graduation. I think the signals class and physical electronics actually counted as some physics electives for him as well.

analogdesign said:
I dropped out of one PhD program to start another one with no problem. Happens all the time. At the PhD level "fit" is everything.
Okay, this makes me feel better then. How did you go about it, and do you think taking a gap year would be better than prematurely quitting?

aspire5 said:
I have a physics friend who got accepted in an EE MS program this past year...
Yeah, I have taken some EE, but i'll probably need to take some undergrad courses during the EE program. Other threads about Phys -> EE seem to suggest this is possible.

Broccoli21 said:
Okay, this makes me feel better then. How did you go about it, and do you think taking a gap year would be better than prematurely quitting?

Well I went to grad school "A" for about a quarter when it was clear to me it wasn't going to work out. The professor I was going to work with met with me a few weeks after I got there and told me he didn't require my services after all and I was "free" to talk to other professors. I really didn't find one that clicked with me and frankly I was getting kind of depressed about the whole situation. I contacted a professor who had recruited me at grad school "B" but I had declined their offer. I went up to grad school "B" and talked with him and we decided I could start as a first-year grad student in grad school "B" the next fall. So, in a way, I both quit a grad program and I took a gap year. I spent the rest of the year working by-the-hour with a research group I had previously interned with. I got really lucky, it's true, but I also had the foresight to cut something short that wasn't going to work out.

While I lost a year, in the long term it really doesn't matter. I got my Ph.D. and have a fulfilling career so it all worked out for the best.

As to your question, don't start a grad program you're planning to quit. It is far better to get an internship or co-op or somesuch for the year than start grad school fresh. Try your best to do some career-related activity during that gap year. If you're switching to EE you will have to take some requisite courses (undergrad courses you need to start grad school). As aspire said, it is typically four or five courses. If your university allows it (and you can afford it), you can try to take those courses during a gap year and you won't lose much time at all in the end.

Likes atyy
Broccoli21 said:
I am a senior physics BS student, applying to programs in condensed matter and high energy physics at the moment. However, I have always been interested in doing an MS in EE. Its sort of late this year though, and I can't apply for EE programs now. But that got me thinking: is it possible to start my PhD program in physics, and then switch to engineering while in grad school? What is the process for this? Do I re-apply?

I know it sounds bad, but I don't know what to do with my life at the moment. I'm hoping that I might learn if physics grad school is for me, by doing a year of it. So I guess I'm just wondering the possibility and possible issues of swapping to EE MS (or PhD even) programs, after having completed a year of physics PhD program.

Thanks!

How about sticking to Physics PhD, but choosing a field of specialization that has a close tie to EE? Accelerator physics, Detector/Instrumentation physics, etc. are all fields in which both EE and Physics PhDs work in.

Zz.

analogdesign said:
As to your question, don't start a grad program you're planning to quit. It is far better to get an internship or co-op or somesuch for the year than start grad school fresh. Try your best to do some career-related activity during that gap year.
I don't think i'll be able to get much of a job, given a physics BS. But I suppose I could try. And I'm not quite sure if I'm 'planning' on quitting. I'm just not sure if physics is for me, at this point.

ZapperZ said:
How about sticking to Physics PhD, but choosing a field of specialization that has a close tie to EE? Accelerator physics, Detector/Instrumentation physics, etc. are all fields in which both EE and Physics PhDs work in.
That's a good idea, but is it possible to get industry jobs (not finance) in that case? And is the pay as good as engineers get? I'm not keen on academia.

Broccoli21 said:
That's a good idea, but is it possible to get industry jobs (not finance) in that case? And is the pay as good as engineers get? I'm not keen on academia.

In that case you should also consider WHY you want to do a PhD. It might not be worth getting a PhD in engineering it if your plan is to go to industry.
Whether or not having an EE PhD is actually worth it will strongly depend on which sub-field of EE you are interested in (i.e. might be a good idea of you are interested in device physics/semiconductors, but probably virtually useless from a financial point of view if you are into circuit design)
Note that I am all for doing a PhD because you think it might be an interesting experience and you will enjoy it, but don't assume it is going to make you more competitive compared to someone who "only" has a MSc but then spent the following years actually working in industry..

f95toli said:
In that case you should also consider WHY you want to do a PhD. It might not be worth getting a PhD in engineering it if your plan is to go to industry.
Whether or not having an EE PhD is actually worth it will strongly depend on which sub-field of EE you are interested in (i.e. might be a good idea of you are interested in device physics/semiconductors, but probably virtually useless from a financial point of view if you are into circuit design)
Note that I am all for doing a PhD because you think it might be an interesting experience and you will enjoy it, but don't assume it is going to make you more competitive compared to someone who "only" has a MSc but then spent the following years actually working in industry..
Well, I mentioned in OP that I would consider an MS. But thanks for the info regarding fields of EE. I'm most interested in solid state devices, semiconductors, etc. so i'll probably go for the PhD. I guess I don't want to be stuck with a PhD in physics, and not be able to get a job because my degree says 'physics' and not 'engineering'.

Related to Quick Question: Switching Fields in PhD

1. Can I switch fields in the middle of my PhD program?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields in the middle of your PhD program. However, it may require additional coursework and research to catch up in the new field.

2. Will I have to start my PhD program over if I switch fields?

It depends on the policies of your university and the requirements of the new field. In some cases, you may have to start over, while in others you may be able to transfer some credits.

3. How will switching fields affect my research and dissertation?

Switching fields may require you to change your research topic and approach. Your dissertation may also need to be revised to align with the new field.

4. Will switching fields impact my career prospects?

Switching fields may open up new career opportunities, as you will have expertise in multiple areas. However, it may also take longer to establish yourself in the new field.

5. What should I consider before switching fields in my PhD?

Before switching fields, consider the time and resources required to catch up in the new field, the impact on your research and dissertation, and the potential career opportunities in the new field.