Quick questions about logic gates (Nand, nor, etc)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's newfound interest in logic gates, specifically nand gates and nor gates. They are unsure of the purpose of the nmos transistors in a nand gate configuration and question why pmos transistors are typically used at the top. They also inquire about the possibility of creating a single-transistor and-gate with two separate gate elements.
Molecular
So recently just in my spare times I've found an interest in logic gates such as the nand gates and nor gates and such and although most of it's logic, there's one thing i just couldn't figure out.

Let's say you have a nand gate configuration consisting of two pmos and two nmos transistors as in my attached picture, what exactly is the purpose of the two nmos transistors at the bottom? I'm guessing it's related to removing any voltage on the output as soon as A and B go high.

Another question I have though; Why is usually pmos transistors used at the top? If I'm not entirely mistaken, aren't nmos transistors supposed to be faster? Or is this to avoid a voltage drop when your A or B signals are high?

And finally thirdly, would it be possible to create a transistor with two separate gate elements in which both needs to be set high in order to allow for current to go through? A single-transistor and-gate in other words.

Thanks for any input on this! been scratching my head.

Attachments

• 310px-CMOS_NAND.svg.png
    310px-CMOS_NAND.svg.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 527
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a logic gate?

A logic gate is a basic building block of digital circuits that performs a logical operation on one or more binary inputs and produces a single binary output. It is typically represented by a schematic symbol and can be implemented using electronic components such as transistors.

2. What are the different types of logic gates?

There are several types of logic gates, including AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, and XOR gates. These gates differ in their input and output configurations and the logical operations they perform. NAND and NOR gates are considered universal gates because they can be used to build any other logic gate.

3. What is a Nand gate?

A Nand gate is a logic gate that produces an output of 0 only when all of its inputs are 1. Otherwise, it produces an output of 1. It is essentially an AND gate followed by a NOT gate. Nand gates are commonly used in digital circuits because they are easy to implement and can be used to build other logic gates.

4. What is a Nor gate?

A Nor gate is a logic gate that produces an output of 1 only when all of its inputs are 0. Otherwise, it produces an output of 0. It is essentially an OR gate followed by a NOT gate. Nor gates are also commonly used in digital circuits and can be used to build other logic gates.

5. What are the applications of logic gates?

Logic gates are used in many different applications, including computer processors, digital clocks, calculators, and electronic control systems. They are also essential in digital electronics such as microcontrollers, memory chips, and communication devices. Logic gates are fundamental to the operation of digital systems and are an important concept in computer science and engineering.