What is trivial and non-trivial gate in computing?

In summary, a logic gate that takes a 0 as input and outputs a 1, or takes a 1 and outputs a 0 is called a trivial gate. Single input gates that take either zero or one as input and always output a zero or a one are also considered trivial.
Callaghan
My question seems like it should be posted in Computer Engineering section, but below is how I found this word.

I was reading the textbook:
Quantum Computation And Quantum Information - by Michael A. Nielsen and Issac L. Chuang.
and I came across with the this word;

"1.3.1 Single qubit gates
Classical computer circuits consist of wires and logic gates. The wires are used to carry information around the circuit, while the logic gates perform manipulations of the information, converting it from one form to another. Consider, for example, classical single bit logic gates. The only non-trivial member of this class is the NOT gate, whose operation is defined by its truth table, in which 0 → 1 and 1 → 0, that is, the 0 and 1 states are
interchanged."

I was wondering the meaning of this word, and I googled, then one source came;
----------
logic gate (plural logic gates)

1. a physical device, typically electronic, which computes a Boolean logical output (0 or 1) from Boolean input or inputs according to the rules of some logical operator.
    There are six non-trivial, symmetric, two-input, Boolean logic gates: AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR and XNOR.
----------
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/logic_gate

so,what is the meaning of trivial and non-trivial gate in "conventional" logic gate and what are the full examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I see. They're talking about single input gates.

So, it can take one input (0 or 1), and provide one output (0 or 1).

A logic gate that is defined by the truth table (0>0, 1>1) is trivial because it does absolutely nothing. It might as well not be there at all.
So - of the two possible gates - the only non-trivial single bit gate is the NOT, which is defined as (0>1,1>0).

I'm confused.
trivial = single input?

wiktionary says
There are six non-trivial, symmetric, two-input, Boolean logic gates: AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR and XNOR.

but these logic gates mentioned above are not single input gates.

how do I distinguish that with

The only non-trivial member of this class is the NOT gate

?

or are you talking about

trivial = does absolutely nothing?

Callaghan said:
I'm confused.
trivial = single input?
No. "Single input "means only one input signal (the gate is a back box that has a single "wire" going in). In the binary world that wire can only send a 0 or a 1 into the gate.

A gate that takes a 0 as input and outputs a 1, or takes a 1 and outputs a 0 could be useful in a circuit.

A gate that takes a 0 as input and outputs a 0, or takes a 1 and outputs a 1 accomplishes nothing - it might as well not be in the circuit at all.
Callaghan said:
Yes, so for TWO-input gates (so the gate is a black box with two "wires" in), your input choices are: 00, 01,10,11
There are 6 ways inside the black box you could manipulate it so that the output is useful.

Callaghan said:
but these logic gates mentioned above are not single input gates.
No, they're two-input gates.
Callaghan said:
The only non-trivial member of this class is the NOT gate
That is referring to the single-input gates, as described at the top of this post.

Callaghan said:
trivial = does absolutely nothing?
I'd have said 'nothing useful', but yes. (I can imagine trivial gates that do something, just not a useful something. eg. a single-input gate could take either zero or one and always output a zero. They seem to consider that trivial if I read between the lines.)

Here's five two-input gates and one single-input gate (NOT).

fig-arch-gates.png

Last edited:
I see... Thank you very much.

Now I understand.

Glad I could help.

1. What is a trivial gate in computing?

A trivial gate in computing refers to a logic gate that produces an output that is the same as its input. These gates are considered basic and do not require complex calculations or logic.

2. What is a non-trivial gate in computing?

A non-trivial gate in computing is a logic gate that performs a specific function or operation on its input to produce an output. These gates require more complex calculations and logic and are essential in building more sophisticated computer systems.

3. How do trivial and non-trivial gates differ?

The main difference between trivial and non-trivial gates is the complexity of their operations. Trivial gates produce an output that is the same as their input, while non-trivial gates perform specific functions on their input to produce a different output.

4. What are some examples of trivial gates?

Some examples of trivial gates include NOT, AND, and OR gates. These gates have a simple function and produce an output that is the same as their input.

5. What are some examples of non-trivial gates?

Some examples of non-trivial gates include XOR, NAND, and NOR gates. These gates perform more complex operations on their input and produce an output that is different from their input.