Quick questions about modular arithmetic

• Thread starter johnnyICON
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the congruencies of 99999^{99} + 1 mod 25 and 24^{99} + 1 mod 25, and whether or not they are equivalent. The conclusion is that both equations are equivalent, and the concept of residue classes is mentioned to explain this. The original question about proving a number divisible by 25 is also addressed.
johnnyICON
[tex]99999^{99} + 1[/tex]
As [tex]99999 \equiv[/tex]24[tex](mod \25)[/tex]
Can I say then:
[tex]99999^{99} + 1 \equiv[/tex]24[tex]^{99} + 1(mod \25)[/tex], or is it
[tex]99999^{99} + 1 \equiv[/tex]24[tex]^{99}(mod \25) + 1[/tex],
or are these two the same things?

Physics news on Phys.org
johnnyICON said:
[tex]99999^{99} + 1 \equiv[/tex]24[tex]^{99} + 1(mod \25)[/tex]

This one is standard. People would probably understand the second, but the usual format is to write the mod at the end.

oh ok, i was just wondering if the two were the same. I was uncertain if by moving the +1 before the mod5 it would change the meaning. Awesome, well then that makes this question a lot easier now. Thanks :D

Another quick question.

Are the following two congruencies the same?
1. [tex]24^{99} + 1 \equiv 0 \mod \25[/tex]
2. [tex]24^{99} + 1 \mod \25 \equiv 0 \mod \25[/tex]

I am trying to show that a number is divisible by 25, and I found that 25 can be written in terms expressed in equation #1. And I found that number that I am trying to divide by 25 can be expressed in terms expressed in equation #2.

I thought I finished the proof but now that I am looking at it, I am unsure about this one thing.

When you write 25 don't write it \25 or the 5 just shows up, write it normally, e.g:

[tex]24^{99} + 1 \equiv 0 \mod 25[/tex]

and:

[tex]24^{99} + 1 \mod 25 \equiv 0 \mod 25[/tex]

There two statements are the same, I think you miss the point though. Something like:

[tex]24^{99} + 1 \mod 37 \equiv 0 \mod 25[/tex]

Woule make not really make that much sense, so amoung other reasons there is no reasons to write the mod twice.

Okay. Because I was trying to show that equation #2 and #1 are equivalent.

So they are right? LOL sorry, I'm just very uncertain about myself.

johnnyICON said:
Okay. Because I was trying to show that equation #2 and #1 are equivalent.
Well, people tend to view congruence defined as a ternary relation:

[tex]x \equiv y \mod n \overset{def}{\Longleftrightarrow} n|x-y.[/tex]

Sometimes one omits the modulo part, but it is still understood that we're dealing with modulo arithmetic by using the equivalence sign [tex]\equiv[/tex], instead of an equality sign. Another way of stating a congruence [tex]x \equiv y \mod n[/tex] is by saying that [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] belong to the same residue class (look this up on mathworld.wolfram.com). That is

[tex]x \equiv y \mod n \Leftrightarrow [x]_n = [y]_n[/tex]

So, your equation 2. states (with the missing 2 from 25) that

[tex][[25^{99}+1]_{25}]_{25} = [0]_{25}[/tex]

Remember Matt Grime's post in your other thread. You are trying to show that
24^99 +1 = 0 mod 25.
but 24^99 +1 = (-1)^25 +1 = -1+1 = 0 mod 25, since 24=-1 mod 25 and since -1 raised to an odd power is -1. Q.E.D.

Yea, that's exactly how I did it Ramsey :D Sorry, I should of concluded this thread by mentioning that. Thanks for another helpful response though. I appreciate it.

Related to Quick questions about modular arithmetic

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with numbers and their remainders after division by a given number. It is often used in cryptography and computer programming.

2. What are the basic operations in modular arithmetic?

The basic operations in modular arithmetic are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are performed on the remainders of the numbers after division by a given modulus.

3. How is modular arithmetic used in real life?

Modular arithmetic is used in various real-life applications, such as clock time, calendar calculations, and cryptography. It is also used in computer programming to optimize storage and computation.

4. What is the role of the modulus in modular arithmetic?

The modulus is a key component in modular arithmetic as it determines the number of possible remainders and the range of numbers that can be represented in the system. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. Can modular arithmetic be used with negative numbers?

Yes, modular arithmetic can be used with negative numbers. In this case, the remainder is always positive, and the modulus is subtracted from the negative number until it becomes positive. For example, in mod 7, -12 is equivalent to 2 since -12 + 7 + 7 = 4 (which is the remainder when 12 is divided by 7).