Quick Science Fair Question - Testing Enzyme Reaction Rates

In summary, the person is asking about using the hydrogen peroxide/disk method to test the reaction rate of enzymes in turkey giblets for their science fair project. They are wondering if grinding or mashing up the giblets and using the resulting liquid would work instead of using catalase solution. The response is that it may work, but there may be interference from other enzymes present in the liquid. However, the idea is worth trying for a high-school level project.
lifeaintchess
Hi! I was hoping someone could answer a quick question I had about science fair... I had talked to my teacher about doing a project where I test the reaction rate of enzymes in turkey giblets (see which chunk of the turkey has fastest/lowest reaction rates) but we didn't go into a lot of detail when we were talking about it. To use the hydrogen peroxide/disk way of testing reaction rates, could I just grind up/mash up the giblets and use the liquid in place of catalase solution? Would that work at all? I think that's what he was saying, but we talked really briefly about it. If that wouldn't work, is there anything of high-school level difficulty that would?

Physics news on Phys.org
That may work. Liquid you get after grinding/mashing is - after all - solution of everything that was soluble and was present in the giblets. It can be tricky as it is solution of everything - so not only of the enzyme you are interested in, but also many different ones, they can interfere. But the idea is definitely worth a try.

1. What is an enzyme?

An enzyme is a protein that speeds up chemical reactions in the body. It acts as a catalyst by lowering the activation energy required for a reaction to occur.

2. How do enzymes affect reaction rates?

Enzymes increase reaction rates by binding to specific substrates, bringing them into close proximity and altering their chemical bonds, making it easier for them to react.

3. How can I measure enzyme reaction rates?

Enzyme reaction rates can be measured by monitoring the change in concentration of the substrate or product over time. This can be done using a spectrophotometer or by visually observing a color change in the reaction mixture.

4. What factors can affect enzyme reaction rates?

Several factors can affect enzyme reaction rates, including temperature, pH level, enzyme concentration, and substrate concentration. Enzymes are also affected by the presence of inhibitors or activators.

5. Why is it important to test enzyme reaction rates?

Testing enzyme reaction rates is important because it allows us to understand the efficiency and effectiveness of enzymes in various conditions. This information can help in the development of new medicines, enzymes, and industrial processes.