Quietest place on Earth messes with your head

In summary, the anechoic chamber at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota can mute 99.99% of all sound, but visiting the silent oasis isn't as calming as you might expect. The room holds the current Guinness World Record as the quietest place on the planet, and companies from all over the world seek out its unique acoustic properties. But while the super-silent oasis is a great testbed for various products, it holds a darker side: silence, it turns out, can put a great strain on the human brain. As the minutes tick by in absolute quiet, the human mind begins to lose its grip, causing test subjects to hallucinate.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I think I could handle it. How about you?

Just don't let things get too quiet, or you might drive yourself a wee bit insane: the anechoic chamber at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota can mute 99.99% of all sound, but visiting the silent oasis isn't as calming as you might expect.

The room holds the current Guinness World Record as the quietest place on the planet, and companies from all over the world seek out its unique acoustic properties. The walls of the chamber are lined with sound-absorbing baffles that can capture noise and mute it in an instant.

But while the super-silent oasis is a great testbed for various products, it holds a darker side: silence, it turns out, can put a great strain on the human brain

As the minutes tick by in absolute quiet, the human mind begins to lose its grip, causing test subjects to hallucinate.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/quietest-place-earth-mutes-sounds-messes-head-212556719.html

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I've had four operations on my ears. Being deaf sucks, but I can certainly handle it because I've been there before.

I’m so used to noisy teenagers that I don’t know if I could handle complete silence but it would be fun to try.

Sensory deprivation or lack of any external stimuli does contribute to hallucinations. I think that if the brain is deprived of certain stimuli, the level of random activity increase in the nervous system.

I thought the Charles Bonnet syndrome was also intriguing. People who suffer from visual loss can develop it. People who suffer from hearing loss can also hallucinate. They can hear music, voices, etc. There's even a hearing voices movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bonnet_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

I've never tried it but the Ganzfeld effect is supposed to work.

“The Ganzfeld effect is the result of the brain amplifying neural noise in order to look for the missing visual signals. The noise is interpreted in the higher visual cortex, and gives rise to hallucinations. This is similar to dream production because of the brain's state of sensory deprivation during sleep.

The Ganzfeld effect has been reported since ancient times. The adepts of Pythagoras retreated to pitch black caves to receive wisdom through their visions[2], known as the prisoner's cinema. Miners trapped by accidents in mines frequently reported hallucinations, visions and seeing ghosts when they were in the pitch dark for days. Arctic explorers seeing nothing but featureless landscape of white snow for a long time also reported hallucinations and an altered state of mind.”

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/graphics/011109_hacking_your_brain/

Last edited:
I have tinnitus, so there is no such thing as silence. I usually listen to soft music when I go to sleep to stop the internal crickets. I think a quiet place like that would ruin me!

I remember when I was a kid hiding in a closet and it was extremely quiet. I couldn't hear any sounds. But when it was completely silent, my ears would make a faint high pitched sound after a few seconds. Like my brain refused to hear complete silence, so it started making its own sound.

But if that room can cause you to hallucinate just from it being so quiet, does that mean deaf people hallucinate?

leroyjenkens said:
But if that room can cause you to hallucinate just from it being so quiet, does that mean deaf people hallucinate?

Only if you could hear your heartbeat...

I would totally LOVE to go there. Sweet silence. Who cares about insanity? :biggrin:

In Richard Feynman's book "Surely you're joking..." he goes into detail how he used to visit a sensory deprivation lab specifically to hallucinate!

Related to Quietest place on Earth messes with your head

1. What is the quietest place on Earth?

The quietest place on Earth is an anechoic chamber located at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota, USA. It measures -9.4 decibels, which is 99.99% sound absorbent.

2. How does the quietest place on Earth mess with your head?

The absence of sound in the anechoic chamber can cause a person to experience auditory deprivation, leading to hallucinations, disorientation, and other sensory disturbances. Some people have reported feeling anxious or uncomfortable due to the intense silence.

3. How is the anechoic chamber designed to be so quiet?

The chamber is made up of thick concrete walls and layers of sound-absorbing materials. The floor is also suspended to prevent vibrations and sound from entering the room. The shape of the chamber also helps to trap and absorb sound waves.

4. How does the quietest place on Earth benefit scientific research?

Scientists use the anechoic chamber to conduct experiments and test equipment in a controlled, noise-free environment. It is also used to study the effects of sound on the human body and to develop noise-cancelling technology.

5. Can anyone visit the quietest place on Earth?

The anechoic chamber is primarily used for scientific research and is not open to the public. However, some tours and demonstrations are occasionally offered to give people a chance to experience the quietest place on Earth.

Back