Quine-McCluskey Tabular method with Don't care

• Thread starter momentum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
An_example_with_don't-care_termsIn summary, the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method and Don't care can be used together to solve minimization problems. An example can be found on the Wikipedia site for the Quine-McCluskey algorithm with don't-cares.
momentum
I know Quine-McCluskey Tabular method & I also know Don't care. I can solve problems using them separately.

But this question below asking to use these two methods together to solve the problem...and so I find it complex.

I need an example how to solve this type of problem. .

Question :
Minimize the following function using QM tabular method.
2017-07-28_1205.png

Note: please note question asks 'dont care' terms as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need an example where both QM tabular + Dont care is involved. Could you please post an url/link for the same.

Last edited:
comments please

1) What is the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method?

The Quine-McCluskey Tabular method is a logic minimization technique used in digital electronics and computer science. It is used to simplify boolean functions by finding the most simplified form of the function with the least number of terms.

2) How does the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method work?

The method involves creating a tabular form of the boolean function, where each term of the function is represented by a binary number. By grouping together terms that differ by only one bit, the method finds the prime implicants (essential terms) and then combines them to obtain the simplified form of the function.

3) What are "don't cares" in the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method?

"Don't cares" are inputs or conditions in a boolean function that do not affect the output. These are represented by "X" in the tabular form and can be used to optimize the simplification process by allowing for more flexible grouping of terms.

4) When should the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method be used?

The method is most useful for simplifying boolean functions with a large number of variables. It is commonly used in digital circuit design and optimization to reduce the number of logic gates required, which can improve the efficiency and cost of the system.

5) What are the limitations of the Quine-McCluskey Tabular method?

The method can become computationally intensive for functions with a large number of variables and terms. Additionally, it may not always find the most optimal solution and may require additional steps to further minimize the function. It is also not suitable for functions with more than a few variables with "don't cares."