What famous physicist built a famous yet inaccurate model of the hydrogen atom?

In summary: William Clark, of the famous Lewis & Clark expedition, was the only one in the expedition to refuse to eat this food. He was not a fan of the local food.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No googling for answers!

1. The vomited concretion of a certain aquatic mammal was once prized for doing what? What is it called? Answered in post 19

2. What creature can taste with it’s feet? Answered in post 32

3. What native African animal can go without drinking water longer than a camel? Answered in post 53

4. Formerly, he received only a primary education yet he developed the modern theory of electromagnetic fields. Beyond his success in the then theoretical branch of physics, this gentleman created a series of lectures aimed at children. Those lectures discussed "The Chemical History of a Candle." Answered in post 19

5. What writer accurately described the two moons of Mars (including size and rotation) more than 100 years before they were discovered?

6. Who said “My dear, descended from the apes! Let us hope it is not true, but if it is, let us pray it will not become generally known”? Answered in post 26

7. What is the longest place name (city/town etc...) in current use? I will accept knowing what country the town is in. Answered in post 55

8. What English word, when written in capital letters, is the same forwards, backwards and upside down? Answered in post 16

9. What is unique about the words month, orange, silver and purple? Answered in post 24

10. William Clark, of the famous Lewis & Clark expedition, was the only one in the expedition to refuse to eat this food. What was it?

11. Who is Samuel Clemens? Answered in post#2

12. What 15th-century artist is credited with inventing oil painting? Answered in post 22

13. How many paintings did Vincent van Gogh sell in his lifetime? Answered in post#10

14. Who was the only person to win the Nobel Prize twice -- in both Physics and Chemistry? Answered in post 20 & 21

15. This Danish born scientist built the most recognized yet inaccurate model of the hydrogen atom. He founded the modern quantum theory of matter and worked under Ernest Rutherford in Manchester, England. In 1939 he was elected president of the Royal Danish Academy of Science and Letters. He also helped in the British-American atomic bomb project at Los Alamos. Answered in post#5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh, I like Evo's quizzes. Do we have to go by the only one answer per person rules?

I'll take an easy one to start. #11 is none other than the author Mark Twain.

(I was going to answer #1, but realized I can't spell it without looking it up). I can give a hint on #7, as I know it's in Wales, but haven't a chance of getting it right (shared an office with a Welsh post-doc once who had it on his coffee mug...it wrapped around the whole mug about 3 times...lots of Ll's and W's in it, and not very many vowels).

8. OHO

I think that is a word

MOW is wrong (my original guess)

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Ooh, I like Evo's quizzes. Do we have to go by the only one answer per person rules?
If someone answers incorrectly, you can answer that question even if you have already answered one. Same thing if you guess one wrong, you can try another.

I'll take an easy one to start. #11 is none other than the author Mark Twain.
Correct!

(I was going to answer #1, but realized I can't spell it without looking it up).
If you know the answer but need spelling etc... it's ok to look that up.

[quoteI can give a hint on #7, as I know it's in Wales, but haven't a chance of getting it right (shared an office with a Welsh post-doc once who had it on his coffee mug...it wrapped around the whole mug about 3 times...lots of Ll's and W's in it, and not very many vowels).[/QUOTE]Number seven is not fair to expect someone to actually spell the whole name correctly, well except Gokul probably could. :grumpy: The location in Wales was the longest current location (I thought), it turns out that there is actually one other current location with a longer name. I will accept knowing what country the town is in.

8.Well,let's see:SIS,or SOS?
4.James Clerk Maxwell??
14.Linus Pauling.
15.Niehls Bohr...

Daniel.

mattmns said:
8. OHO

I think that is a word
Not in my dictionary. :biggrin:

MOW is wrong (my original guess)
It's close, except it's not the same backwards.

Last edited:
7. Wales.

- Warren

Evo said:
2. What creature can taste with it’s feet?

Guessing wildly, but I think it is a common fly.

dextercioby said:
8.Well,let's see:SIS,or SOS?
SIS is an abbreviation and SOS is an acronym, but I'll give you credit. I still want to see if someone knows what the natural word is.

4.James Clerk Maxwell??
No

14.Linus Pauling.
No

15.Niehls Bohr...
YES!

13. One, to his brother.

- Warren

Evo said:
SIS is an abbreviation and SOS is an acronym, but I'll give you credit. I still want to see if someone knows what the natural word is.

S does not look the same backwards as it does forward, or is it just me?

chroot said:
7. Wales.

- Warren
It used to be, they've found one that is longer.

mattmns said:
S does not look the same backwards as it does forward, or is it just me?
the question should specify that it is read backwards (as in a palindrome), not a mirror image, but good point!

motai said:
Guessing wildly, but I think it is a common fly.
No, but you're on the right track.

chroot said:
13. One, to his brother.

- Warren
That's correct!

Evo said:
the question should specify that it is read backwards (as in a palindrome), not a mirror image, but good point!

Ok that should make it a bit easier.

NOON

NON

Are either of these words in your dictionary lol?

8. "I" could be the answer if it's considered a word.

mattmns said:

NOON

NON

THAT'S CORRECT!

Dooga Blackrazor said:
8. "I" could be the answer if it's considered a word.
Good question, I need to look that up.

1) ambergris, used in perfume
3) elephant
4) Faraday
10) tofu

14 is marie Curie

marlon

14)Marie Curie. though Bardeen won the physics prize twice

12 is Jan Van Eyck from BELGIUM...

It was not Da Vinci...

marlon

3)I'm going to guess a dromedary

9. they have no words that rhyme with them

10. longpig

6) sounds like the words of somebody from the church...maybe a pope or some priest ?

marlon

marlon said:
6) sounds like the words of somebody from the church...maybe a pope or some priest ?

marlon

close as I rememberit, it was the wife of a certain Anglican bishop.

jcsd said:
close as I rememberit, it was the wife of a certain Anglican bishop.

they do indeed sound like feminine words. I think you are right on this one...

marlon

mattmns said:

NOON

NON

Since when has N looked the same upside-down?

- Warren

plover said:
1) ambergris, used in perfume
Correct!

3) elephant
no

4) Faraday
Correct!

10) tofu
No, but if they had it with them he might not have eaten it. :rofl:

marlon said:
14 is marie Curie

marlon
Correct!

meteor said:
14)Marie Curie. though Bardeen won the physics prize twice
Also correct!

marlon said:
12 is Jan Van Eyck from BELGIUM...

It was not Da Vinci...

marlon
Correct again! (you've got to watch those guys from Belgium)

2 is a butterfly

marlon, the animal that tastes with his feet

meteor said:
3)I'm going to guess a dromedary
no

jcsd said:
9. they have no words that rhyme with them
Correct!

jcsd said:
10. longpig
No

jcsd said:
9. close as I rememberit, it was the wife of a certain Anglican bishop.
Correct! wife of the bishop of Worcester In 1860 the famous duel between T.H. Huxley and Bishop Wilberforce took place, and the wife of the bishop of Worcester is reported to have said this in reaction to hearing Darwin’s theory of evolution.

marlon said:
2 is a butterfly

marlon, the animal that tastes with his feet
correct and not sure marlon will be invited over for dinner. :bugeye:

Evo said:
correct and not sure marlon will be invited over for dinner. :bugeye:

i cannot seduce you with one of my oil-paintings ? The other one, i sold to my brother...

marlon