Racecar accelerating against the forces of friction....

In summary: Okay, so I get that $E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2$, but how do I solve for v?Okay, so I get that $E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2$, but how do I solve for v?
Baran
Homework Statement
750kg racecar, starting from rest, experiences an applied force of 9800N. Frictional forces both wind resistance and rolling friction, push back against the car with 2100N. If the car is racing a 402m, what is the final speed of the car? Answer using energy and work laws, not kinematics.
Relevant Equations
No equations given
I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your energy and work laws?

Drakkith said:
What are your energy and work laws?
I guess that would be the formulas,

W=F(Total Distance)
Ek=1/2(m)(v)^2
Wnet=[(m)(vf)^2]/2 - [(m)(vi)^2]/2
Em intial=Em final
Eg=mghThat's everything that I could think of.

Baran said:
Em intial=Em final

The mechanical energy of a system is only conserved in the absence of external work (plus the absence of internal dissipative forces :wink:). If your system is just the car, we have external work and this equation won't apply.

This problem can be attacked by the standard work energy theorem, which you have correctly stated as ##W = \Delta T = \frac{1}{2}m{v_f}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m{v_i}^2##. But first you've got to figure out the total work done by all forces acting on the car.

Can you figure out what the total work done is here? Be careful about signs, if the force is in the opposite direction to the displacement the work it does will be negative...

Likes Delta2
etotheipi said:
The mechanical energy of a system is only conserved in the absence of external work (plus the absence of internal dissipative forces :wink:). If your system is just the car, we have external work and this equation won't apply.

This problem can be attacked by the standard work energy theorem, which you have correctly stated as ##W = \Delta T = \frac{1}{2}m{v_f}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m{v_i}^2##. But first you've got to figure out the total work done by all forces acting on the car.

Can you figure out what the total work done is here? Be careful about signs, if the force is in the opposite direction to the displacement the work it does will be negative...
Would the total work be +7 700N?

Baran said:
Would the total work be +7 700N?

Remember that work has dimensions of energy, and ##7700\text{N}## has dimensions of force. That said, ##7700\text{N}## is the resultant force on the car. What do you need to multiply this by to get the work done by the resultant force?

The total distance, so
W=402mx7700N
=3.1x10^6 J

Baran said:
The total distance, so
W=402mx7700N
=3.1x10^6 J
Yes. So can you find the speed?

haruspex said:
Yes. So can you find the speed?
I'm not sure how to

Baran said:
I'm not sure how to

Is there a formula that links the speed/velocity of an object to its energy?

Drakkith said:
Is there a formula that links the speed/velocity of an object to its energy?
I think it is
Ek=1/2(m)(v)^2

so would I sub in the values like this?

3.1x10^6 J=1/2(750kg)(v)^2

then rearranged I think it would be

v=2Ek/m (the right hand side should have a square root, but I don't know how to make that symbol)Also sorry about the late reply, I was busy with some other IRL things, and forgot about this :P.

EDIT:

I'm starting to think that it may be Wnet=[(m)(vf)^2]/2 - [(m)(vi)^2]/2 and then I would have to rearrange for vf, but this seems very complex to rearrange.

Baran said:
I think it is
Ek=1/2(m)(v)^2

so would I sub in the values like this?

3.1x10^6 J=1/2(750kg)(v)^2
Instead of substituting in and then solving, try the other way around -- solve then substitute. You'll end up with the same result either way, but algebra is easier with variable names than with numeric values. And errors are easier to find and correct.

Typesetting instructions can be found here.

Let's type set that starting equation using TeX. Putting a double dollar sign in front and a double dollar sign behind you get to render a mathematical equation centered on the line.

This ($$E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2$$) becomes this:$$E_k = \frac 1 2 mv^2$$One can also do it with doubled hash marks to get inline equations. This (##E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2##) becomes ##E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2##

Let's solve the above equation for ##v##. Multiply both sides by 2 and divide both sides by m. That gives us $$\frac{2 E_k}{m} = v^2$$ Now take the square root of both sides and swap right and left yielding $$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 E_k}{m} }$$ But of course, you already knew that.

Now you can sutstitute in 3.1 x 106 J for ##E_k## and 750 kg for m yielding $$v=\sqrt{\frac{2 \times 3.1 \times 10^6 \text{J}} {750 \text{kg}}}$$

[Cheating to display back to back dollar signs and hash marks is tricky. I pulled down the little paint droplet icon to pick a color for the second dollar sign, making it explicitly black. Enclosed in a color tag that way, the character was no longer able to activate the equation rendering engine]

Likes etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
Instead of substituting in and then solving, try the other way around -- solve then substitute. You'll end up with the same result either way, but algebra is easier with variable names than with numeric values. And errors are easier to find and correct.

Typesetting instructions can be found here.

Let's type set that starting equation using TeX. Putting a double dollar sign in front and a double dollar sign behind you get to render a mathematical equation centered on the line.

This ($$E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2$$) becomes this:$$E_k = \frac 1 2 mv^2$$One can also do it with doubled hash marks to get inline equations. This (##E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2##) becomes ##E_k=\frac 1 2 mv^2##

Let's solve the above equation for ##v##. Multiply both sides by 2 and divide both sides by m. That gives us $$\frac{2 E_k}{m} = v^2$$ Now take the square root of both sides and swap right and left yielding $$v = \sqrt{ \frac{2 E_k}{m} }$$ But of course, you already knew that.

Now you can sutstitute in 3.1 x 106 J for ##E_k## and 750 kg for m yielding $$v=\sqrt{\frac{2 \times 3.1 \times 10^6 \text{J}} {750 \text{kg}}}$$

[Cheating to display back to back dollar signs and hash marks is tricky. I pulled down the little paint droplet icon to pick a color for the second dollar sign, making it explicitly black. Enclosed in a color tag that way, the character was no longer able to activate the equation rendering engine]
Thank you for your help, as well as all the other people who helped me solve this question. I really do appreciate all the help that I've received!

Likes etotheipi
Baran said:
Thank you for your help, as well as all the other people who helped me solve this question. I really do appreciate all the help that I've received!

So, @Baran, do you know what the original question meant when it said, "Answer using energy and work laws, not kinematics"?

What would the approach be if it had asked the opposite ("solve using kinematics")?

Last edited:
gmax137 said:
Do you know what the original question meant when it said, "Answer using energy and work laws, not kinematics"?

What would the approach be if it had asked the opposite ("solve using kinematics")?
Edited to remove spoiler. Oops.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
I was kind of hoping the OP might answer.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the force of friction and how does it affect a racecar's acceleration?

The force of friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. In the case of a racecar, the friction between the tires and the road surface can affect its acceleration. This friction can either help or hinder the car's movement, depending on the direction of the force and the surface conditions.

2. How do racecar engineers minimize the effects of friction on acceleration?

Racecar engineers use various techniques to minimize the effects of friction on acceleration. This can include using specialized tires with better grip, reducing the weight of the car, and optimizing the aerodynamics to reduce air resistance. Additionally, they may adjust the suspension and alignment of the car to ensure that the tires have maximum contact with the road surface.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact a racecar's acceleration?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the case of a racecar, a higher coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface can result in better traction and therefore, better acceleration. However, if the coefficient of friction is too high, it can also cause the tires to overheat and lose grip, negatively impacting acceleration.

4. Can a racecar accelerate without any friction?

No, a racecar cannot accelerate without any friction. Friction is necessary for the tires to grip the road surface and propel the car forward. Without friction, the tires would spin and the car would not be able to move. However, minimizing the effects of friction can help increase the car's acceleration.

5. How do external factors, such as weather and track conditions, affect the friction and acceleration of a racecar?

External factors, such as weather and track conditions, can have a significant impact on the friction and acceleration of a racecar. For example, wet or icy road surfaces can reduce the friction between the tires and the road, making it more difficult for the car to accelerate. Similarly, a track with debris or uneven surfaces can also affect the car's acceleration by reducing the amount of friction between the tires and the track.