Radar and simple range problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the working range of a radar placed 35m above sea level. The formulas for range are found to be complicated and there is not enough information to give an accurate answer. It is mentioned that the radar horizon may not coincide with the geometric horizon and that the book "Introduction to Radar Systems" by Skolnik discusses this topic in more detail.
prehisto

Homework Statement

Radar (radio wave) is placed 35m above sea level. Calculate working range of radar.

Homework Equations

So I have found various different formulas for range but they all are very complicated with respect to my example. I only have 1 known variable - height.

The Attempt at a Solution

There should be some kind of simple approximate formula. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not enough information to give even a ball park answer .

Have you some specific problem in mind ?

Edit : Problematic link removed .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Not enough information to give even a ball park answer .

Have you some specific problem in mind ?
From my research on internet regarding this problem, I have the same opinion. But this example comes from school ( in topic elector magnetic waves) and therefore there should be some kind of simple answer.

With no other information available all you can say is that radar detection of a target is achievable anywhere between the transmitter site and the horizon .

That is for a simple line of sight radar system of sufficient power and a sea level target with good signal reflection characteristics .

Different answers for airborne targets and/or more sophisticated radar systems .

Last edited:
Likes prehisto
Just for interest : The radar horizon does not usually coincide exactly with the geometric horizon - radar horizon is usually further away - ie further around the Earth's curvature . How much depends on the sophistication of the radar system .

Likes prehisto
Nidum said:
https://ia801406.us.archive.org/14/items/IntroductionToRadarSystems/Skolnik-IntroductionToRadarSystems.pdf
My computer declares that site to be dangerous and says I should not access it under any circumstances.

Ray Vickson said:
My computer declares that site to be dangerous and says I should not access it under any circumstances.

Both AVG Pro and Windows Defender passed it as ok . To be safe though I've removed the link .

The actual book is still available - though it is a bit expensive : Introduction to Radar Systems - Skolnik - McGraw-Hill .

1. What is radar and how does it work?

Radar stands for "radio detection and ranging" and is a technology used to detect and track objects by emitting radio waves and measuring the time it takes for the waves to bounce back. This allows for the determination of an object's distance, speed, and direction.

2. What is a simple range problem in radar?

A simple range problem in radar is when an object's distance from the radar is known, but its speed or direction is unknown. This can be solved using basic trigonometry and the radar equation.

3. How do you calculate the speed of an object using radar?

The speed of an object can be calculated using the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of the radio waves as they bounce off the moving object. By measuring the difference in frequency, the speed of the object can be determined.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of radar measurements?

The accuracy of radar measurements can be affected by various factors such as weather conditions, interference from other objects, and the quality of the radar system itself. Additionally, the angle and distance of the object from the radar can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How is radar used in real-world applications?

Radar is used in a wide range of real-world applications such as air traffic control, weather forecasting, and military defense. It is also commonly used for navigation and collision avoidance in ships and aircraft.