Radiation from a phone mast vs from a phone

• Thread starter Wokinglad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the leakage from a microwave oven is limited to 0.5 V/m, which is considered safe for consumer use. However, the radiation from a phone mast is not necessarily safe either, depending on power levels.
Wokinglad
Hi guys

I'm not going ask is radiation from phones and masts safe, half would say it's absolutely safe and half would say it's probably a bit dangerous.

My question is how does phone mast radiation compare to mobile phone radiation, broadly speaking of course. I'm moving house soon and there's a mast about 20m away (similar height to my house) and another about 50m away. How would this radiation compare to a phone (not in a call but when switched on) or WiFi radiation? Now I am aware there'll be many factors involved here such as the power and direction of the mast and so on, so I am asking for a guesstimate. Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Impossible to say. Phone masts don't always transmit equally in all directions. Most countries have regulations on exposure in nearby properties.

Wokinglad said:
So it's like being near a leaky microwave 24/7
Different frequencies, though.

berkeman said:
Different frequencies, though.

So the mast frequencies are safer?

Wokinglad said:
So the mast frequencies are safer?

not necessarily, depends on power levels. Also, many cellular frequencies are very close to the microwave oven frequency of 2.45 GHz
For example, here is the Australian cellular bands...

upload_2017-4-17_8-56-36.png
Dave

Wokinglad said:
So it's like being near a leaky microwave 24/7 :nb)
No, a normal microwave.
I'm not going ask is radiation from phones and masts safe, half would say it's absolutely safe and half would say it's probably a bit dangerous.
Not in this forum they wouldn't. But if you ask a group of people somewhere and half say it's dangerous, you're asking the wrong group!

Wokinglad said:
So it's like being near a leaky microwave 24/7 :nb)

russ_watters said:
No, a normal microwave.

To expand a bit on Russ's post:
Note that the linked article states that the microwave is "leaking at the British Standards Institute limit".
So the 0.5 V/m is the maximum allowable leakage from a microwave according to these standards. In other words, this is the maximum leakage that is still considered safe for a consumer to use. That doesn't mean that higher amounts are dangerous though. We tend to err on the side of caution in situations like this. If exposure to low intensity microwave radiation is dangerous, then the effects must be very subtle, as we don't see any obvious damage in the short term and the long term effects must be small enough that they are buried within the noise from thousands of other health hazards you face every day.

What is the difference between radiation from a phone mast and a phone?

The main difference between radiation from a phone mast and a phone is the source of the radiation. A phone mast emits high levels of electromagnetic radiation, while a phone emits much lower levels of radiation. Additionally, the type of radiation emitted by a phone mast is non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause damage to DNA, while the radiation from a phone is considered low-level ionizing radiation.

Is radiation from a phone mast harmful?

There is a lot of debate surrounding the potential harm of radiation from phone masts. While the non-ionizing radiation emitted by phone masts is not strong enough to cause damage to DNA, some studies have shown that long-term exposure to this type of radiation may have other health effects, such as increased risk of cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential impact of phone mast radiation on human health.

Can using a phone near a phone mast increase my exposure to radiation?

Yes, using a phone near a phone mast can increase your exposure to radiation. This is because the closer you are to a source of radiation, the higher the levels of radiation you will be exposed to. However, the amount of radiation emitted by a phone is much lower than that of a phone mast, so the increase in exposure is minimal.

Are some phones safer than others in terms of radiation?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that one type of phone is safer than another in terms of radiation. All phones must meet specific safety standards set by regulatory agencies, so they should all emit similar levels of radiation. However, some phones may have features such as a lower SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) which measures the amount of radiation absorbed by the body, that may make them seem safer but more research is needed to determine if this is the case.

What can I do to protect myself from radiation from phone masts and phones?

To protect yourself from radiation from phone masts and phones, you can limit your exposure by keeping your distance from phone masts and using hands-free devices or speakerphone when using a phone. You can also limit the amount of time you spend on your phone and consider using a phone case or shield that claims to reduce radiation exposure, although the effectiveness of these products is still debated. Additionally, staying informed about the latest research and following safety guidelines set by regulatory agencies can also help reduce your exposure to radiation from phone masts and phones.