Radio Broadcast Antenna Peak Intensity

In summary: So the intensity at 25 km away would be 5 kW divided by 4*pi*(25 km)^2, which is approximately 0.000032 watts per square meter. In summary, the peak intensity of the radio broadcast signal at a receiving antenna located 25.0 km away from the radio antenna broadcasting at 104.3 FM with a power of 5.00 kilowatts is approximately 0.000032 watts per square meter. This can be calculated using the equation of Poynting vector, which takes into account the power of the signal and the distance between the transmitter and receiver.
Minescrushessouls

Homework Statement

A radio broadcast antenna is located at the top of a steep tall mountain. The antenna is broadcasting 104.3 FM (in Megahertz) with a power of 5.00 kilowatts.

What is the peak intensity of the signal at a receiving antenna located 25.0 km away?

Homework Equations

Honestly, I don't really know

Intensity=P/d^2

Peak Intensity=some vector/μ0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried doing 5000/(25000^2)

The power divided by the distance squared. The system told me my units were incorrect...so I guess I don't even know where to start on this

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use equation of Poynting vector

Ugnius said:
You should use equation of Poynting vector

Ok so S=(ExB)/μ

But how would I find E and B from the information provided?

Intensity is measured in watts per square meter. Think of the radio antenna as putting out 5 kW in a spherical distribution. At some distance R from the transmitter, what's the size of the spherical "surface"?

Likes berkeman
So the area would be the area of a circle, or pi*r^2

So would that mean it would be W/(pi*r^2)?

Minescrushessouls said:
So the area would be the area of a circle, or pi*r^2

So would that mean it would be W/(pi*r^2)?
No, the surface of a sphere is not a circle -- it's a spherical shell. What's the surface area of a spherical shell?

gneill said:
No, the surface of a sphere is not a circle -- it's a spherical shell. What's the surface area of a spherical shell?

4*pi*r^2?

Minescrushessouls said:
4*pi*r^2?
Yes.

1. What is radio broadcast antenna peak intensity?

Radio broadcast antenna peak intensity refers to the maximum amount of electromagnetic energy emitted by a radio antenna at a specific frequency. It is an important measure of the strength of a radio signal.

2. How is radio broadcast antenna peak intensity measured?

Radio broadcast antenna peak intensity is typically measured using a device called a field strength meter. This instrument detects the strength of the radio signal at a specific location and displays it in units of decibels (dB).

3. What factors affect radio broadcast antenna peak intensity?

The main factors that affect radio broadcast antenna peak intensity include the power output of the transmitter, the height of the antenna, and the frequency of the radio signal. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and nearby objects can also have an impact.

4. How is radio broadcast antenna peak intensity related to signal strength?

Radio broadcast antenna peak intensity is directly related to the strength of the radio signal. A higher peak intensity indicates a stronger signal, while a lower peak intensity indicates a weaker signal. However, the relationship is not always linear, as other factors can affect signal strength as well.

5. Why is radio broadcast antenna peak intensity important?

Radio broadcast antenna peak intensity is important because it determines the range and quality of a radio signal. A higher peak intensity means that the signal can travel further and be received more clearly. This is crucial for ensuring effective communication through radio broadcasting.