Radio Signal With No Resonator?

In summary: Chirp_spread_spectrumIn summary, the conversation discussed the design of a simple non-audio radio transmitter and receiver using a basic circuit with a BJT and crystals. The transmitter would produce RF pulses of either 3V ON or 0V OFF, while the receiver's output would show that it is receiving the pulses. The conversation also mentioned the limitations of using square pulses in radio transmission and the benefits of using spread spectrum technology. Finally, resources for learning more about RF transmission and building electronic kits were also provided.
VarietyBook
I am a beginner at electronics, and wanted to make a simple (non-audio) radio transmitter and reciever, with no inductor-capacitor resonator, since I don't understand it and I am not making an audio radio. Here is my transmitter, with the input wire to the BJT being the signal:
f8svJPJ.jpg

Here is my reciever:
9NnnSxV.png
(the circuit is not complete) I put the serial number on both crystals to show that they are the same and oscillate at the same frequency. My radio signal is either 3V ON or 0V OFF, which will represent digital signals. I am a beginner, and am posting this here to ask if my circuit would work (if connected together and closed, obviously), and if not to explain why. Thank you very much for your advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What would the output of a “simple (non-audio) radio transmitter” look like? You write: “My radio signal is either 3V ON or 0V OFF”. If I understand your words correctly you would transmit RF pulses of some duration (fixed or variable), and at some pulse repetition frequency (PRF).

What would your receiver’s output be to show it was receiving the pulses?

Here is Wiki’s overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_radiofrequency

Here are Links to electronic circuits, electronic schematics, designs for engineers, hobbyists, students & inventors:
http://discovercircuits.com/R/rftrans.htm

NOTE: If you are in the USA the Federal Communications Commission restricts all radio transmissions according to frequency band, power out, type, etc. You can be “busted” and fined if you interfere with others. Be sure your transmitter is low enough power so as not to travel beyond you lab. Other countries have similar rules.

One final note: “Square” transmitted pulses, radio frequency or acoustical, generate side harmonics. This means that the total radiated power is not concentrated in the narrow band of your crystal oscillator, but is spread out among upper and lower harmonic frequencies. This can wreak havoc on requirements like interference with others, maximum range, and more. A gradually rising and falling pulse helps avoid this pitfall.

Edit: Here are hundreds of examples for you to have a look at: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...=1366&bih=683&q=rf pulse transmitter circuits

Last edited:
Thanks so much Bobby for the great resources. I had suspected something odd would happen with square signals, but I didn't deeply think about it. I guess my circuit will have to be a lot more complex!

VarietyBook. The the crystal resonator, your transmitter output would generate broadband “keyclicks”. The crystal would act like a trap to prevent transmission of only a very narrow band at resonance. Energy would be radiated throughout the rest of the spectrum, although influenced by the tuning of your TX and RX antennae.

Around about 1897 Sir Oliver Lodge in London invented tuning and wireless communication began a great leap forwards. Now we are using more spread spectrum which is the antithesis of tuning.

SS spreads the energy over a wide band of the spectrum for transmission and then despreads it back in the receiver. Because the spreading – despreading employs a digital code there can be many signals in the same band with different key codes.

In effect spread spectrum has no resonant elements, but it does need a couple of reference frequencies. Firstly the centre carrier frequency, which is usually suppressed and so not transmitted. And secondly a chip rate clock that decides the rate of the spreading or hopping code.

Your first radio design was a spread spectrum system but you had no provision to synchronise the transmitted carrier centre frequency and chip rate at your receiver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-sequence_spread_spectrum

1. What is a radio signal with no resonator?

A radio signal with no resonator is a type of radio signal that does not require a resonator, which is a device used to create and amplify radio waves. This type of signal is typically generated by a specialized type of antenna known as a dipole antenna.

2. How does a radio signal with no resonator work?

A radio signal with no resonator works by using a dipole antenna to create and amplify radio waves without the need for a separate resonator device. The antenna is connected to a transmitter, which produces electromagnetic waves that are transmitted through the air as radio signals.

3. What are the advantages of using a radio signal with no resonator?

There are several advantages to using a radio signal with no resonator. These include cost-effectiveness, as there is no need for an additional resonator device, and increased efficiency, as the signal can be transmitted directly from the antenna without any signal loss.

4. What are the applications of a radio signal with no resonator?

A radio signal with no resonator has a wide range of applications. It is commonly used in radio communication, such as for broadcasting and wireless communication. It can also be used in radar systems, remote control devices, and various scientific and medical equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using a radio signal with no resonator?

While a radio signal with no resonator has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. These include a shorter range compared to signals with resonators and the potential for interference from other electronic devices. Additionally, this type of signal may not be suitable for certain high-frequency applications.