Radioactive decay caused by WIMPS?

In summary, there is active research being done into the possibility of WIMPs being involved in radioactive decay, but so far there is no evidence to support this theory.
qbit
I read from various sources that Non-baryonic matter (primarily WIMPs) is the best candidate to explain a number of cosmological phenomena.
Why would the phenomenon of radioactive decay not be attributed to these abundant (over 1/4 of the mass-energy of the universe) particles? I'm not trying to undermine the Uncertainty Principle, which I'm confident would remain intact given that no properties of a given WIMP are known prior to its hypothetical interaction with a radioisotope. Is a WIMP's causal influence not discussed in accordance with Ockham's razor? Have I answered my own question or is there a way to rule out WIMPs as a component involved in the decay process?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Radioactive decay is already understood without invoking WIMPs.

A. That paper is not about WIMPs.
B. That paper is not correct.

Thanks for your reply.
A. Are you saying neutrinos are not weakly interactive or not massive or both? I think what you're saying is that neutrinos are not the WIMPs expected to be responsible for the cosmological scale phenomena I mentioned in the first post, yes?
B. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen a paper where the conclusions were shown to be erroneous, https://phys.org/news/2014-10-textbook-knowledge-reconfirmed-radioactive-substances.html My bad. My point was to show that there is active research into radioactive isotopes.
So when you say radioactive decay is 'understood', you could point me to a theory that, for example, reasonably predicts that carbon-14 has a half life of 5740 years?

The reason I brought this up is because of a recent paper that asserts the discovery of a galaxy, NGC1052-DF2, without dark matter, http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2018/03/a-galaxy-without-dark-matter.html . (link to paper)
Of the numerous radioactive decay chains, I wondering which of these would result in a spectroscopic signature detectable here on Earth (from DF2)?
I thought it might be a way to show that dark matter might not be so dark if there is a correlation between its presence and rates of decay.

qbit said:
when you say radioactive decay is 'understood', you could point me to a theory that, for example, reasonably predicts that carbon-14 has a half life of 5740 years?
A few years ago, this paper got some press, as having explained qualitatively how the lifetime of carbon-14 could be so long. They employ a theory of pion-nucleon interaction called chiral perturbation theory.

As Vanadium-50 could tell you in much more detail than me, nuclear physics is an enormous patchwork of models and measurements. The general expectation is that all of these quantities should ultimately be implied just by the standard model of particle physics, though this is far from having been demonstrated completely. It is logically possible that some measured nuclear quantities (decay rates, etc) do include contributions from beyond-standard-model physics, but perhaps not very likely.

Thanks Mitchell,

I will have to re-read it. Probably more than once. I admit I didn't know that such calculations were possible and was suitably impressed when the researchers state that, "The number of non-vanishing matrix elements exceeded the total memory available..." on their Jaguar Supercomputer.

Thanks again.

qbit said:
I think what you're saying is that neutrinos are not the WIMPs expected to be responsible for the cosmological scale phenomena I mentioned in the first post, yes?

Correct.

qbit said:
So when you say radioactive decay is 'understood', you could point me to a theory that, for example, reasonably predicts that carbon-14 has a half life of 5740 years?

C-14 is a very complex nucleus, as is N-14. Their energy levels do not align, and that makes the complication hard, not because the physics is not understood, but because it is complicated. We understand Newton's Laws perfectly, but we cannot predict exactly what will get bent or broken in an automobile collision.

Your point on DF2 piles speculation on top of speculation.

The answer to your original question is:
  • Dark Matter is not needed to explain any aspect of nuclear decay.
  • Dark Matter does not help explain any aspect of Nuclear decay.
  • Therefore the answer is no.

I'm done here.

That was my last, best idea to try and detect WIMPs. I'm done too.

1. What are WIMPs and how do they cause radioactive decay?

WIMPs, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, are hypothetical particles that are thought to make up dark matter. They are believed to interact with ordinary matter only through the weak nuclear force. When a WIMP collides with an atomic nucleus, it can transfer enough energy to cause the nucleus to undergo radioactive decay.

2. How is WIMP-induced radioactive decay different from other forms of radioactive decay?

WIMP-induced radioactive decay is different from other forms of radioactive decay because it is caused by interactions with a specific type of particle (WIMPs) rather than the spontaneous decay of an unstable nucleus. This type of decay is also known as "induced radioactivity" or "transmutation induced by neutron capture."

3. Can WIMPs be detected directly?

As of now, there is no confirmed direct detection of WIMPs. However, there are ongoing experiments such as the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) experiment and the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS) that are searching for WIMPs by looking for the energy released when a WIMP collides with an atomic nucleus.

4. Are there any potential dangers associated with WIMP-induced radioactive decay?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that WIMP-induced radioactive decay poses any significant danger. WIMPs are thought to have very low interaction rates with ordinary matter, and thus any induced radioactivity would be extremely rare.

5. How does our understanding of WIMPs and their effects on radioactive decay impact our understanding of the universe?

Studying WIMPs and their interactions with matter can provide valuable insight into the composition and structure of the universe. If WIMPs are confirmed to be a major component of dark matter, it could help us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies and the larger structure of the universe.