Ramp: Forces and Motion Investigation Lab

In summary, the object moved further when the ramp was at a 45 degree angle than when it was at a 30 degree angle.
Asuncion

Homework Statement

We are to use the Ramp: Forces and Motion simulator located at http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/ramp-forces-and-motion.

First part we are to chose 2 objects. I chose the small crate and textbook and then slide then down a ramp at 30 degree angle. Using the following parameters:

μs=0.5
μk=0.3
g=9.8m/s^2 Earth
brick wall
wood friction

Hypothesis 1: If the mass of an object (blank), then the distance it slides from the end of the ramp will (blank) because...

After completed the simulation the 10 kg textbook and the 100kg small crate both go the same amount of distance.

Hypothesis #2: If the angle of the ramp(blank), then the distance it slides off the end of the ramp will (blank) because...

In this experiment I used the same object (10kg textbook), at different angles ( 30 and 45 degrees). The book moved further when ramp was at 45 degree angle than 30 degree angle.

Homework Equations

1. How do I state the hypothesis 1 and hypothesis 2: Knowing that acceleration is inversely proportational to the mass, which has nothing to do with the distance traveled, I think.

2. Next I am to graph using the independent and dependent variables? Not sure which is which. I do know that the dependent variable is the y-axis and independent variable is the x-axis.

3. Then I am to derive a general formula relating the objects mass (m) and the distance it slide.

And a formula for relating the angle and the distance it slides.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I know.
a=acceleration
F(net)= net force
m=mass
F(grav)=gravity force
F(fric)= friction force not sure if I should add the two friction forces together of which one to chose and use)
cos=cosine

a=F(net)/m
F(net)= F(grav)+F(fric)+F(norm)
F(norm)=m*g*cosθ
F(fric)=μ* F(norm) not sure which coefficient to use the kinetic friction or static friction.

Don't know where to began. thank you for your attempt to help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your [itex]F_{net}[/itex] equation is incorrect. It should look something like this:

[itex]F_{net}=F_{gravity}+F_{normal}-F_{friction}[/itex]

Friction pulls the objects up the ramp while gravity pulls them down. You have friction pushing in the same direction as the resultant of gravity and normal force. While I mention the resultant, you did not include the formula for this. When gravity and normal force are added together, it will make the formula simpler. When you solve for acceleration using a [itex]F_{net}[/itex] equation that includes the resultant, I think you will find the answer to Hypothesis #1.
For Hypothesis #2, you will need to look at how the forces are affected by sine and cosine as the angle increases/decreases.
For your graph, the independent variable is the variable that you are changing, and the dependent variable is the variable that is affected due to the independent being changed. I hope that made sense.

Which coefficient do I use to get force friction, static or kinetic?

Static friction would be used to see if the object would move down the ramp at that angle. Kinetic friction would be used as the opposing force pushing the object back as it moved. Since in all the trials you listed the object moved, what do you think? (hint: it's kinetic)

Okay, great so I use the kinetic friction coefficient because the object moved, got you. Now...

Confused why is the y-axis of the corrdinate system tilted to the right instead tilting it to the left?

Disregard last question.. my bad

Thanks shootertrex for the help!

1. What is the purpose of the "Ramp: Forces and Motion Investigation Lab"?

The purpose of this lab is to investigate the relationship between forces, motion, and the angle of a ramp.

2. How is the angle of the ramp related to the motion of an object?

The angle of the ramp affects the force of gravity acting on the object, which in turn affects its acceleration and motion.

3. What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a ramp, various objects to roll down the ramp, a protractor to measure the angle of the ramp, and a stopwatch to measure time.

4. What is the significance of conducting this investigation?

This investigation allows us to better understand the principles of forces and motion, and how they are related to the angle of a ramp. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions based on our observations and data.

5. How can this lab be applied in real-life situations?

The concepts learned in this lab can be applied to real-life situations such as designing ramps for wheelchairs or skateboards, understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes, and predicting the speed and distance of objects rolling down hills or mountains.