Random peaks, spectrophotometer & iridescence

• Thread starter Samuels-art
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary: Anyway, thank you for the data and thank you again for your help.SamMaybe something to do with the spectral range? Try decreasing the range. In summary, the author found spurious peaks in the reflectance data and replaced them with more reliable data.
Samuels-art
Dear PH,

Recently I have been trying to determine if a surface is iridescence or not. The most quantitative method to achieve this is to find the maximum reflective peak, this is also highly repeatable and worked well.

The idea is to move a sample at all angles of possible viewing geometry and find the maximum reflection peak and that measurement (nm) is the so called colour! This is accepted in biological systems, the field I am working in.

Having measured the surface I found the data to have a very sharp peak where I can clearly see there shouldn't be one. You can see in the attached file there are two peaks that I believe should not be there as I can see that there is no represented colour on the surface no matter what angle. The peaks that are 'weird' are at 490nm and 660nm. The integration time for the Spectrophotometer was at 100, the average scans at 5 and the Box CAr Width was also at 5.

My question is this, is there any known reason why I should be getting these random peaks? Could it be the intergration time, something I don't fully understand anyway or could it be something to do with iridescence as a phenomenon?

Thank you in advance and kind regards

Sam

Attachments

• Beetle 65 Rotation 180 peak shift.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are seeing a specular reflection from a surface somewhere in the field.

Likes 1 person
Hey, thank you for your reply, would the specular highlight not be the seen at the same wavelengths as the actual color of the surface, in this case blue or green?

Those sharp peaks are artifacts. Ozone and water vapour in the atmosphere have sharp peaks in that range of wavelengths. The spectrometer output is the ratio of detected intensity with and without the sample. Because of the sample, the light travels different length as without the sample, and also some reflected radiation also reaches the detector: so these peaks do not quite cancel. Just ignore them. ehild

Likes 1 person
Samuels-art said:
Recently I have been trying to determine if a surface is iridescence or not. The most quantitative method to achieve this is to find the maximum reflective peak, this is also highly repeatable and worked well.

I agree with others, the narrow peaks are spurious and can be ignored. Measuring iridescence is more complicated than I thought- the origin of color is due to physical structure as opposed to (say) pigment, and I could not find an ASTM standard that applies.

Because the origin of iridescence is due to interference and diffraction, the details of your illumination geometry and coherence may affect the measurements. Interesting problem!

Likes 1 person
Dear all,
Thank you for the replies, if anyone is interested further in the quantification of iridescence in a biological field then please refer to the attached paper. Does anyone know if there is a process either an R function or something where I can remove this noise seen in the graph.

I am working with a beetle species that I have just identified as being iridescent which means I can publish quite soon.

I have another problem that may interest some of you guys :). The measurements in the paper are taken from a flat surface, I am trying to think of a way to quantify structural colours that have a curve like my beetles. If anyone has an idea how this could be possible I would be very interested to hear from you.

Kind Regards

Sam

Attachments

• Quantifying iridescent coloration in animals- a method for improving repeatability.pdf
    253.1 KB · Views: 355
Try to change the measuring parameters. Slower scan, longer integration time, lower resolution. I do not know what your data are as you did not give the units. Your spectra look very noisy.

ehild

Hi there again, and thank you for the interest and replies.

I am attaching some data so you can see the problem, I am not sure if it is the exact same data set as I have a lot of them, but they all have the same noise and peaks.

units are % reflection and nm.

Kind Regards

Sam

Attachments

• il65_re85_ro90.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 430
I would try to average more spectra, say 20 or so, to decrease the noise.
I think you use a small diaphragm for the incident light when taking the reflectance?
Anyway, the spectral range should not exceed 350-800 nm. The artifacts can be cut out from the spectrum. Or you can cheat a bit, replacing the reflectance data with more reliable ones.
With your data processing program, Excel or Origin, you can also smooth out the noise by "adjacent averaging".
See attached spectra. The first is is the original one, the second is the one where I replaced the impossible data with some value in range, and the third is the smoothed one. I used Origin.

ehild

Attachments

• ref.jpg
    ref.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 402
  • refcor.jpg
    refcor.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 403
  • refcorsm.jpg
    refcorsm.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 431
Dear ehild, sorry I never thanked you earlier, I was distracted by yet another set of issues from the same data set and have been working on that before I could consider smoothing. I thought it would take a lot less time to sort my problem but unfortunately not.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time and suggesting the smoothing techniques. Very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Sam

What are random peaks in a spectrophotometer?

Random peaks in a spectrophotometer refer to fluctuations in the measured absorbance or transmittance readings that do not follow a consistent pattern. These peaks can be caused by factors such as air bubbles, dust particles, or impurities in the sample.

How does a spectrophotometer measure iridescence?

A spectrophotometer measures iridescence by analyzing the light that is reflected or transmitted through a sample. The instrument measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths, which can reveal the presence of iridescent colors in the sample.

What is iridescence?

Iridescence is a phenomenon where certain materials or surfaces appear to change color depending on the angle of view or the angle of incident light. This is caused by the interference of light waves as they reflect or pass through the material.

How can random peaks affect spectrophotometer readings?

Random peaks can affect spectrophotometer readings by causing inaccuracies or fluctuations in the measured absorbance or transmittance values. This can lead to incorrect or inconsistent data, which can impact the overall results of an experiment or analysis.

What are some common causes of iridescence in materials?

Iridescence in materials can be caused by various factors such as thin film interference, diffraction, or structural coloration. This can occur naturally in certain materials or can be artificially induced through processes such as vapor deposition or etching.