Random thoughts on Fibonnacci sequence

In summary, we may never know why nature has a lot of applications of the Fibonacci sequence, such as the number of spirals in a sunflower or the patterns of pinecones. It is more important for us as science enthusiasts to study and understand how nature works rather than why she works that way, as her beauty lies in her complexity and mystery.
parshyaa
Why nature has a lot of application of fibonacci sequence
I mean why the number of spirals in the head of sunflower always has to be a memeber of fibonacci sequence, why pinecones displays similar patterns and many more examples.

Do we really know the answer?
I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows Newtons law?
I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature, i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because that's her beauty
What are your views?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
parshyaa said:
It's natural.

parshyaa said:
I mean why the number of spirals in the head of sunflower always has to be a memeber of fibonacci sequence, why pinecones displays similar patterns and many more examples.

Do we really know the answer?
I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows Newtons law?
I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature, i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because that's her beauty
What are your views?
@Dale

parshyaa said:
Sorry, despite my generally opinionated nature, I have no opinion on this topic.

Likes jim hardy and parshyaa
parshyaa said:
...I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows Newtons law?
I think its the other way around. Planets and objects are generally unaware of Newton.

I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature
If you mean by studying nature, I agree.

i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because that's her beauty...
I'm not sure nature does a lot of describing. Nature provides a lot of examples. It is us that do the describing-- a distinctly human character flaw.:wink:

Likes parshyaa

1. What is the Fibonnacci sequence?

The Fibonnacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. The sequence is as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. Who discovered the Fibonnacci sequence?

The Fibonnacci sequence was named after Leonardo of Pisa, also known as Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician who introduced the sequence to the Western world in his book "Liber Abaci" in 1202.

3. What is the significance of the Fibonnacci sequence?

The Fibonnacci sequence has many applications in mathematics and nature. It can be found in the growth patterns of plants, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the spiral patterns of shells and galaxies. It also has connections to other mathematical concepts such as the golden ratio and Pascal's triangle.

4. How is the Fibonnacci sequence related to the golden ratio?

The golden ratio is a mathematical ratio that is approximately equal to 1.618. It is found by dividing a number in the Fibonnacci sequence by the previous number. As the numbers in the sequence get larger, the ratio between them gets closer to the golden ratio.

5. Can the Fibonnacci sequence be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the Fibonnacci sequence has been used in various real-life applications such as in financial markets, computer algorithms, and even in art and design. Its predictable pattern and properties make it a useful tool in many fields.