Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,276
Pepper Mint said:
I won't marry people having names like this.
This was ( I think he he is dead -- or "Passed away, no longer with us *") a Romanian writer. * so we can conclude, following Dubya, that he is against us :).

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,277
WWGD said:
This was ( I think he he is dead -- or "Passed away, no longer with us *") a Romanian writer.
* so we can conclude, following Dubya, that he is against us :).
No hippies please.:smile:
Strange I search google for Dubya and I see George W. Bush on the right column of the result page.

• #2,278
Hmmmm - it works, but it's noisy.

Likes Psinter, Pepper Mint and Borg
  • #2,279
@Profusely - Regarding the thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/are-you-with-it.862258/, oddly enough, I just found out what is pink salt last weekend. It results my mom had some of it all along. I tried it when cooking.

9368942799860830cb3d9452efaf615d.jpg

Engineering Students will understand (you know, when it's project presentation day):
Were+_0c34078887accb2acbd8224395f82c9e.png

• #2,280
I ran into someone who could not differentiate between " An ice Cappuccino" and a " Nice Cappuccino". He asked: What do you mean by a "Nice Cappuccino". I should have said: I mean you should have at least 5 of either, just plenty of caffeine until you do not feel like asking such questions .

Likes Sophia
  • #2,281
It's: "An iced Cappuccino." Sounds like he was just being an enunciation nazi.

• #2,282
zoobyshoe said:
It's: "An iced Cappuccino." Sounds like he was just being an enunciation nazi.
Like I am supposed to think, spell straight without my caffeine fix??

• #2,283
WWGD said:
Like I am supposed to think, spell straight without my caffeine fix??
I wouldn't worry about it. The percentage of people who take the trouble to pronounce the "d" is probably under 1%. That guy will drive himself crazy trying to correct everyone.

• #2,284
zoobyshoe said:
I wouldn't worry about it. The percentage of people who take the trouble to pronounce the "d" is probably under 1%. That guy will drive himself crazy trying to correct everyone.
I'll pronounce it with a heavy lisp next time I order it. See how he reacths.

• #2,285
supersonic shockwave.PNG

Randomly thinking, this is pretty cool Schlieren imagery of hyper-sonic shock waves.

Likes OmCheeto and Pepper Mint
  • #2,286
The mantra of the last two minutes of my run this morning - I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

• #2,287
zoobyshoe said:
Actually, I double-checked and in the wall menu it is spelled as 'Ice Cappuccino', which is the reason I had pronounced it that way. So this guy is extra OCD

• #2,288
Borg said:
The mantra of the last two minutes of my run this morning - I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
Well, you may have to pay royalties if someone hears you saying it:

https://soundcloud.com/ikhanhiphop

• #2,289
  • #2,290
zoobyshoe said:
That's surprising. Was it a Starbucks? Online, they seem to spell it "iced".

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/iced-cappuccino?foodZone=9999

I'll check the physical sign, though, when I go down there in a bit and see what it says.
No, it is this place called Guy and Gallard http://guyandgallard.com/Home.html

Maybe someone did not put the sign up correctly, but I did check yesterday night and that is the way it was written/spelled in the wall menu. BTW, it is a good place, I recommend it...

• #2,291
Maybe a refurbished Starbucks employee?

• #2,292
WWGD said:
No, it is this place called Guy and Gallard http://guyandgallard.com/Home.html

Maybe someone did not put the sign up correctly, but I did check yesterday night and that is the way it was written/spelled in the wall menu. BTW, it is a good place, I recommend it...
Yeah, the Starbucks down the street consistently uses "iced" on their corporately produced official menu board, so I would imagine that's nationwide for Starbucks. It wouldn't surprise me, though, to see some other coffee shop writing it more like it's pronounced; "ice". Most people are going to pronounce it that way regardless of how it's spelled on the menu.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,293
I've gained around 15 pounds so I'm cutting back on food intake. Until dinner, I only have my morning coffee, an apple, a banana, and a small lunch. I find that I'm wanting food mainly out of boredom. As long as I keep busy and spread out my food, it isn't too bad.

• #2,294
1oldman2 said:
View attachment 99015
Randomly thinking, this is pretty cool Schlieren imagery of hyper-sonic shock waves.
I saw that image yesterday, and thought; "That is one, way too weird, solar activity".

But then I read the article. :angel:

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,295
OmCheeto said:
But then I read the article. :angel:
Very cool, I hadn't seen that write up. interesting what can be accomplished with the right filters and some high end digital tweaking.
cak_colormap.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,296
Big earthquake in Japan, then way across the ocean in Ecuador. I'm wondering if Southern California is next.

• #2,297
zoobyshoe said:
Big earthquake in Japan, then way across the ocean in Ecuador. I'm wondering if Southern California is next.
If you like it, then it may hit it too.

• #2,298
I was out driving and noticed my gas gage was reading über empty. That is: as empty as possible. Which usually means one thing.

I pulled into a 7/11 parking lot and checked under the dash and sure enough, a fuse had blown. That's OK, cause I carry spares, which I fished out of the glove compartment. When I crouched down to put the new one in, I saw my glasses on the seat where I'd set them after I took them off to look at the fuses. They had become two dimensional.

Fortunately, I had thrown my old pair into the glove box when I picked up the new pair a couple months ago, so I could see to drive home. And fortunately, a bit of work with a couple pairs of pliers and my new pair became three dimensional again. Still, I'm wondering if Southern California is next.

• #2,299
A friend of mine put his glasses on the bench in the changing rooms after sport at school. He thought "not even our schoolmates would sit on them for a laugh". Then he went to the shower, came back, and sat on them because he didn't have his glasses on so didn't see them.

There were no earthquakes if that makes you feel better.

Likes OmCheeto and zoobyshoe
  • #2,301
Going around Facebook:

"I dreamt I was a muffler last night. I woke up exhausted."

Likes collinsmark, Borg and Sophia
  • #2,302
zoobyshoe said:
I was out driving and noticed my gas gage was reading über empty. That is: as empty as possible. Which usually means one thing.

I pulled into a 7/11 parking lot and checked under the dash and sure enough, a fuse had blown. That's OK, cause I carry spares, which I fished out of the glove compartment. When I crouched down to put the new one in, I saw my glasses on the seat where I'd set them after I took them off to look at the fuses. They had become two dimensional.

Fortunately, I had thrown my old pair into the glove box when I picked up the new pair a couple months ago, so I could see to drive home. And fortunately, a bit of work with a couple pairs of pliers and my new pair became three dimensional again. Still, I'm wondering if Southern California is next.
Keep your tank full, Zooby. No electricity = no gas pumps. And keep drinking water in your car, along with blankets and food.

Also: if a big earthquake hits, bridges and overpasses might be unsafe to cross or go under. If you're at work when a big one hits, is there a route home that doesn't go over or under a bridge?

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I'm always waiting for it. Never used to bother me, but I definitely have more anxiety about it now.

Last edited:
  • #2,303
lisab said:
Keep your tank full, Zooby. No electricity = no gas pumps.
Five or six years ago when there was a huge power outage here I found out that no electricity = no traffic lights = massive traffic jams. Also, not only were gas pumps not working, all stores were closed: all the registers are electronic. No one had any way to ring up any merchandise. I found one lonely liquor store where the guy was taking cash if you had it and ciphering on a battery calculator. I was able to get a large bottle of coke and some munchies.
Also: if a big earthquake hits, bridges and overpasses might be unsafe to cross or go under. If you're at work when a big one hits, is there a route home that doesn't go over or under a bridge?
If we add "unsafe bridges and overpasses" to the power outage traffic jams, then all traffic would be stopped completely, I think.
And keep drinking water in your car, along with blankets and food.
Yes, but in a backpack for the long walk home. Once you get there there's the issue of "What if the water supply has been interrupted?"

Likes lisab
  • #2,304
It seems like brushing alone is not enough for healthy teeth. How do I find someone else to brush with?

"They asked me for a donation for their pool, so I gave them a glass of water"

• #2,305
WWGD said:
It seems like brushing alone is not enough for healthy teeth. How do I find someone else to brush with?
They got rid of the Relationships sub-forum, didn't they?

• #2,306
Ibix said:
They got rid of the Relationships sub-forum, didn't they?
No, that was the Relationships Intersection Dentistry forum. Best damn forum ever in PF. For some reason they canceled it. May be the CIA, pretty sure.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
  • #2,307
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, DennisN, Borg and 2 others
  • #2,308
Friend of mine went to the emergency room last night with abdominal pain. They took his appendix out this morning. He's in his 40s. I always thought that was a kid's condition, like, if it's going to go bad, it goes bad before you're 18. Apparently not.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,309
zoobyshoe said:
Friend of mine went to the emergency room last night with abdominal pain. They took his appendix out this morning. He's in his 40s. I always thought that was a kid's condition, like, if it's going to go bad, it goes bad before you're 18. Apparently not.
Haven't you heard of all these adults, some 30+, with acne problems?

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,310
zoobyshoe said:
I have never had such an abdominal pain until now. And I certainly never wish to though.
And I've read online ads that one can still circumcise his penis at the age of 40 and over, which costs him about $1000-$1700 in the US/Canada and much less in Asia.