Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Physics news on Phys.org
Just wanted to have the first " civilian" post in RT 7. Edit: GA!.

Edit: Edit: Removed mine [fresh_42].

Random thought: I miss Evo.

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, fresh_42 and 3 others
phinds said:
Random thought: I miss Evo.
Me too. Anyone know where she is?

Hopefully not a self-inflicted mishap with her ban hammer. :olduhh:

But yeah, I haven't seen her in a while either. Hope she's doing OK.

No matter how I explained it, I could not get Chat GPT to tell me how much wood my woodchuck could chuck - even after stating that my woodchuck could chuck wood. I may never know.

Borg said:
No matter how I explained it, I could not get Chat GPT to tell me how much wood my woodchuck could chuck - even after stating that my woodchuck could chuck wood. I may never know.
How much chat could a chatbot bot if a chatbot could bot chat?

(The meaning of "bot" as a verb is left to the reader's imagination.)

Ibix said:
How much chat could a chatbot bot if a chatbot could bot chat?

(The meaning of "bot" as a verb is left to the reader's imagination.)
bot comes directly from robot (Slavian for to work).

German lexicon:
English robot (< Czech robot, to: robota, robot); after the name of the US company “Rossum's Universal Robots” appearing in the 1920 social-utopian drama “R.U.R.” by the Czech writer K. Čapek (1890–1938).
https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Roboter

English lexikon:
1923, "mechanical person," also "person whose work or activities are entirely mechanical," from the English translation of the 1920 play "R.U.R." ("Rossum's Universal Robots") by Karel Capek (1890-1938), from Czech robotnik "forced worker," from robota "forced labor, compulsory service, drudgery," from robotiti "to work, drudge," from an Old Czech source akin to Old Church Slavonic rabota "servitude," from rabu "slave" (from Old Slavic *orbu-, from PIE *orbh- "pass from one status to another;"
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=robot

Likes dextercioby
I got my first Chat GPT-like LLM running today that allows me to ask questions about my own documents. I'm having too much fun with this.

:partytime:

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu
Saw this book, recommended it to my friend, telling her I thought of her when I saw it, just to play with her head:
Screenshot_20231027_144801_Samsung Internet.jpg

The research paper is a free PDF file at:
https://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~henrich/pdfs/WeirdPeople.pdf
doi:10.1017/S0140525X0999152X

75 pages including 13 pages of references.

The WEIRD is an acronym for:
"Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic (WEIRD)" societies.

Could be an interesting read, think I'll print it for bedtime reading.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Amazon has a Kindle version for USD 12.99 and some hardcover, new and used, around USD 20.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Just wanted to have the first " civilian" post in RT 7. Edit: GA!.

Edit: Edit: Removed mine [fresh_42].
What?

BTW, RT 6 reached 11,072. Seemed an odd number to cut off on.

Anyway, pretty shocked at Matthew Perry news. I was forced to watch friends by an Ex and pretty much liked it from the off. I can remember the episode. He popped up in The West wing and was a good character there too. 54 is young but he had some problems historically. RIP

Likes WWGD
pinball1970 said:
What?

Anyway, pretty shocked at Matthew Perry news. I was forced to watch friends by an Ex and pretty much liked it from the off. I can remember the episode. He popped up in The West wing and was a good character there too. 54 is young but he had some problems historically. RIP
Yes, RIP. Friends seemed to inspire strong reactions for or against. I was one of the few I know who felt neutral towards it.

pinball1970 said:
As odd as any other number, and it was probably missed dozens of times of waiting and forgetting at any other non-odd number before.

$$
11072=2^6\cdot 173=2^5(7^3+3)=16^2+104^2\,|\,93^{16}-1
$$

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
WWGD said:
Yes, RIP. Friends seemed to inspire strong reactions for or against. I was one of the few I know who felt neutral towards it.
I cannot see many of the STEM guys being overly keen on it, Friends does have a strong defender in Science however, Ross!

pinball1970 said:
I cannot see many of the STEM guys being overly keen on it, Friends does have a strong defender in Science however, Ross!
Who's depicted as a nerd in that regard, i.e., the other friends kind of mock, dismiss it.

fresh_42 said:
As odd as any other number, and it was probably missed dozens of times of waiting and forgetting at any other non-odd number before.

$$
11072=2^6\cdot 173=2^5(7^3+3)=16^2+104^2\,|\,93^{16}-1
$$
As odd as any even number can be!
Edit: Thanks for letting me have the first " Civilian" post in RT 7.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Who's depicted as a nerd in that regard, i.e., the other friends kind of mock, dismiss it.
Yes and no, only the same way they mock Joey for being as struggling actor or Phoebe's awful guitar playing. They support them too.

pinball1970 said:
Yes and no, only the same way they mock Joey for being as struggling actor or Phoebe's awful guitar playing. They support them too.
True, I guess it's in-between.
I found Phoebes " Smelly cat" bit cringy and thoroughly unfunny, though.
I guess I'm more the " Raymond" type, though they were kind of cruel at times.

WWGD said:
True, I guess it's in-between.
I found Phoebes " Smelly cat" bit cringy and thoroughly unfunny, though.
I guess I'm more the " Raymond" type, though they were kind of cruel at times.
I guess there were mainly 3 sitcoms back then: Seinfeld, Raymond, Friends.

I liked the first 2, Friends only so-so.

Likes pinball1970
1698614400553.png

Likes WWGD and BillTre
Likes nsaspook
Today's the 100th anniversary of the founding of Turkey.
Screenshot_20231029_212441_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd celebrate with crispy bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato.

That founding emphasized secularity and healthy distance from religious content.
No wonder it's a sensitive topic there these days.

WWGD said:
...crispy bacon...
Secularity. Just secularity. Pork is still not a good match.... o0)

Likes WWGD
Rive said:
That founding emphasized secularity and healthy distance from religious content.
No wonder it's a sensitive topic there these days.Secularity. Just secularity. Pork is still not a good match.... o0)
True, I'm being a bit indelicate here. No offense meant.
Would have been interesting if the anniversary coincided with Halloween.

Last edited:
phinds said:
@Greg Bernhardt, what DID ever happened to Evo? Inquiring minds want to know :smile:
We have confirmation she is doing well and we hope she stops in soon to update everyone :smile:

Likes OmCheeto, pinball1970, WWGD and 4 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
We have confirmation she is doing well and we hope she stops in soon to update everyone :smile:
That would be great. Thanks for the update.

WWGD said:
No offense meant
I don't think anybody took any, it was just kind of ... funnily inappropriate :wink:

Likes pinball1970
Rive said:
I don't think anybody took any, it was just kind of ... funnily inappropriate :wink:
I think bacon lovers were the most offended ;).

• Haha
Likes Rive and pinball1970
I like Neil DeGrassi Tyson, but one if his YouTube videos, where he aims to " Teach People to Think" is kind of insulting.

Ultimately, DeGrassi's not greener with Neil.

WWGD said:
I like Neil DeGrassi Tyson, but one if his YouTube videos, where he aims to " Teach People to Think" is kind of insulting.
I don't know that video but I'd guess his audience is likely much less accustomed to critical thinking than you are. And in any case, he means well.

Likes WWGD
Somehow , every single time I'm on the phone waiting for costumer service, I'm toldthe expected wait is longer than usual. Every time.

WWGD said:
Somehow , every single time I'm on the phone waiting for costumer service, I'm toldthe expected wait is longer than usual. Every time.
Call the customs service, they are faster.