Random Variable over probability space

In summary, the answer is 3. Statements (1), (2), and (4) are true, but statements (3) and (5) are false.
Francobati
Hello. Can you help me solve it? ($F$ is a $\sigma $ algebra).
Let $X$ be a rv over $(\Omega ,F,P)$. Set $Y:= min\left \{ 1,X \right \}$. What statement is TRUE?

(1): $\left \{ Y=X \right \}\neq \Omega $;
(2): $F_Y(x)=F_X(x)$ for every $x\epsilon \Re $;
(3): $Y\leqslant X$ for every outcome;
(4): $E(Y)=\int_{-\infty}^1xd F_{X}(x)$;
(5): $E(Y)=\int_{\Re }max\left \{ 1,x \right \}d F_{X}(x)$.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on this problem? Can you eliminate any of the answer choices?

I have to find the true answer among these five.

That's clear, but you haven't mentioned which answer choices you know can be eliminated.

I have no idea. What information do I need to resolve it? Help me, please.

Ok, let's start with what is the definition of $E[X]$ and $F(x)$? What do these two concepts represent in general for random variables?

$E(X)=:x_{1}P(A_{1})+...+x_{k}P(A_{k})\geqslant 0$
$F(x)=P(X\leqslant x)$

By the very definition of $Y$, isn't it the case that $Y(\omega) \le X(\omega)$ for all $\omega\in \Omega$?

Yes, the answer is 3. But as I explain in an exhaustive way?

For all pairs of real numbers $a$ and $b$, $\min\{a,b\} \le a$ and $\min\{a,b\} \le b$. So, for all $\omega\in \Omega$, $Y(\omega) \le 1$ and $Y(\omega) \le X(\omega)$. In particular, for every $\omega\in \Omega$, $Y(\omega) \le X(\omega)$.

For the other cases, you can explain why they are false using counterexamples. Take for instance statement (1). If we let $\Omega = [0,1]$ and $X$ the indicator of $[0,1/2]$, then $X\le 1$ and hence $Y$ is identical to $X$; therefore, the event $(Y = X)$ is equal to the whole sample space $\Omega$.

Ok. Many thanks.

Related to Random Variable over probability space

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a mathematical concept used in probability theory to represent a numerical outcome of a random phenomenon. It can take on different values based on the outcome of a particular event or experiment.

2. What is the difference between a discrete and a continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of heads obtained when flipping a coin is a discrete random variable, while the weight of a person is a continuous random variable.

3. How is a random variable related to a probability space?

A probability space is a mathematical construct that defines all possible outcomes of a random phenomenon and assigns probabilities to each outcome. A random variable is a function that maps these outcomes to numerical values, allowing us to calculate probabilities of certain events occurring.

4. What is the difference between a random variable and a probability distribution?

A random variable is a concept, while a probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the probabilities of the values that a random variable can take on. In other words, a random variable is the variable itself, while a probability distribution is a tool used to analyze its behavior.

5. How is a random variable used in statistical analysis?

Random variables are used in statistical analysis to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They provide a framework for calculating probabilities and making predictions based on data. By using random variables, scientists can make informed decisions and draw conclusions about the underlying processes that generate data.