Rank the faces in order of decreasing water pressure

In summary: But maybe they’re looking for a more qualitative answer?In summary, the pressure on the bottom is uniform, the pressure at the top is the highest, and the pressure on the other sides can be determined from the condition that p = ...
demonix
Homework Statement
A box has six faces with three distinct areas A<B<C. Assume that A and B represent the four vertical surfaces, and the two horizontal surfaces have area C. Assume the box is not very tall. When the box is submerged, rank the faces in order of decreasing water pressure.

The pressure of the faces to be considered are P(top), P(bottom), P(B) and P(A)
Relevant Equations
I used pressure= force/area
I assumed that the same magnitude of force acts on all sides of the box. Since A had the smallest area, I ranked P(A) as having the largest pressure, followed by P(B) having the second largest and P(top) and P(bottom) having the same pressure at third largest each. However, the ranking I dervied was wrong and I am unsure how to continue on.

Physics news on Phys.org
demonix said:
I assumed that the same magnitude of force acts on all sides of the box.
Doesn't seem like a reasonable assumption. The pressure varies with depth.

But I also have a difficulty with the question asked. The pressure is not uniform on some of the faces, so how is "the pressure" to be defined on those? I suggest interpreting it as the average pressure on each face. A possible alternative is that they mean force, not pressure.

haruspex said:
Doesn't seem like a reasonable assumption. The pressure varies with depth.

But I also have a difficulty with the question asked. The pressure is not uniform on some of the faces, so how is "the pressure" to be defined on those? I suggest interpreting it as the average pressure on each face. A possible alternative is that they mean force, not pressure.

I agree with you that it isn't a very reasonable assumption, I held it on the basis that I was unsure how to approach the question from any other angle. I believe the question refers to the average pressure, this question was posed in a worksheet from my teacher.

The second part of the question asks about the ranking of the magnitude of force on the sides of the surface.

demonix said:
I agree with you that it isn't a very reasonable assumption, I held it on the basis that I was unsure how to approach the question from any other angle. I believe the question refers to the average pressure, this question was posed in a worksheet from my teacher.

The second part of the question asks about the ranking of the magnitude of force on the sides of the surface.
Ok, so what can you do instead? How does pressure vary with depth?

I don’t want to give away the answer straight away, but the pressure over the bottom is uniform, and so is the pressure at the top. The pressure on everything else can be determined from the condition that ##p = ...##

That being said, does it matter whether they’re talking about average or “instantaneous” pressure at the sides. If you think about it, in terms of ranges of pressure, it would be obvious.

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on the walls of a container or surface it is in contact with. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (PSI) and is influenced by factors such as the height of the water source, the size and shape of the container, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow of water.

2. Why is ranking faces in order of decreasing water pressure important?

Ranking faces in order of decreasing water pressure is important in engineering and design, particularly in plumbing and fluid dynamics. By understanding the varying levels of water pressure, engineers can design more efficient and effective systems for transporting and using water.

3. How do you measure water pressure?

Water pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically attached to a faucet or pipe and gives a reading in PSI. Alternatively, a manometer (a U-shaped tube filled with water) can also be used to measure water pressure.

4. What factors can affect water pressure?

Several factors can affect water pressure, including the height and location of the water source, the size and shape of the container or pipe, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the flow of water. Changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in water pressure.

5. What are some examples of low and high water pressure?

In a residential setting, low water pressure may be around 20-40 PSI, while high water pressure can be above 80 PSI. In industrial or commercial settings, water pressure can be much higher, reaching up to several hundred PSI in some cases.