Ranking Current Densities: How Do Different Factors Affect Current Flow?

In summary, the conversation discusses ranking the current densities of four wires with different radii and electric conductivities. The equation for current density is mentioned and used to compare the values of current density for each wire. The relevance of conductivity and its effect on electric field strength is also briefly mentioned. The main focus is on calculating and comparing current densities for different wires.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Rank in order, from the largest to the smallest, the current densities in these four wires, that have different radius and different electric conductivity
Relevant Equations
current density resistivity and resistance i guess
Homework Statement: Rank in order, from the largest to the smallest, the current densities in these four wires, that have different radius and different electric conductivity
Homework Equations: current density resistivity and resistance i guess

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 16.27.49.png

ja=I/πr2
jb=2I/πr2
jc=I/2πr2

Jb > ja > jc ...

i don't get how to use 2σ in order to find and compare the current density of d.
I know that
ρ=L/σπr2 but ...

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
i don't get how to use 2σ in order to find and compare the current density of d.
Do the same analysis as you did for a, b, and c. (Is the conductivity relevant?)

not taking care of it the result is correct, but could you briefly explain why is not relevant ? Does it becomes relevant only for the potential difference ?

Don't overthink what they are asking for: The current density is current/cross-sectional area. The current is given in each case!

For a different question, the conductivity can be relevant. For example, the electric field strength within the conductor would depend on the conductivity. (But they didn't ask that here.)

Last edited:
Likes DottZakapa
ok thanks very gentle

Doc Al said:
current/surface area.
current/Cross Sectional area.

Tom.G said:
current/Cross Sectional area.
Oops! Thanks, @Tom.G; I'll correct that. :smile:

What is the definition of current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electrical current flowing through a given area. It is calculated by dividing the current by the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing.

How is current density measured?

Current density is typically measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²) or amperes per square centimeter (A/cm²).

Why is it important to rank current densities?

Ranking current densities allows scientists to compare and analyze the flow of electrical current in different materials or systems. This can provide important insights into the properties and behavior of these materials or systems.

What factors affect current density?

The primary factors that affect current density are the material's conductivity, the cross-sectional area through which the current is flowing, and the temperature of the material.

How does current density relate to other electrical properties?

Current density is closely related to other electrical properties such as current, voltage, and resistance. It is also related to Ohm's law, which states that the current through a material is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.