Rankings vs funding (MSc in physics)

In summary: However, if you really want to go for something else, I'm sure you can find a professor that will be more than happy to work with you.In summary, the person is considering whether or not getting a Master's degree from a higher ranked university will make a big enough impact for their PhD plans that not having funding is worth it in the long run. They are unsure if they are confident in their research experience and are seeking input from others.
Fyalcin
Hello everyone!

I recently graduated with a BSc in physics from a good university in my home country with a very decent GPA. I didn't have a long term plan in mind but I at least wanted to continue with a master's degree so after a little bit of research I applied to 2 universities in Germany; Heidelberg and RWTH Aachen. Long story short Aachen didn't happen and while I got accepted to Heidelberg, I couldn't attend because of one unfortunate thing after another (visa, blocked account issues)

Right now I'm left with a choice of either continuing in the same university I graduated from or reapplying to universities abroad (more than 2 this time in case of unfortunate events)
Thing is, as we know almost no MSc programs abroad have funding and while I could work part time, that would only cover my living expenses. In the case that I stay at my university, I would have research funding and possibly a part time TA position which would allow me to not only cover my expenses but also save up for the future. Not to mention I get along pretty well with the professor I would be working with.

My plan after getting my MSc degree is to hopefully continue with a PhD in one of the more prestigious universities and I guess my question boils down to this;
Would getting a MSc degree in a higher ranked university make a big enough impact for my PhD plans that not having funding is worth it in the long run?
I guess it depends more on the quality of my work/publications during MSc and less on the university but I wanted to hear from others with more experience.

Also, I'm older than an average new graduate at 29 years old. Since I already have had a late start I thought about skipping MSc and doing a PhD straight away but I'm not very confident in my research experience even though my advisor says that I would do just fine. What are your thought on this?

Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
More importantly, do you want to work in that research group? Is the research what you are interested in?

Honestly, I'm having trouble deciding on what I want. It's just that I am slightly more familiar with their research because of my bachelor thesis, so naturally it feels safer to stay with them than to chase something else.

1. How do rankings affect the funding opportunities for an MSc in physics?

Rankings can have a significant impact on the funding opportunities for an MSc in physics. Higher ranked programs tend to receive more attention and funding from both private and public sources, making them more likely to offer scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial support for students.

2. Is it better to attend a highly ranked program even if it means paying more for tuition?

While highly ranked programs may offer more funding opportunities, it is not always necessary to attend one in order to have a successful career in physics. It is important to consider the overall cost of attendance and the potential return on investment when making a decision about which program to attend.

3. Can a lower ranked program still provide a quality education for an MSc in physics?

Yes, a lower ranked program can still provide a quality education for an MSc in physics. Rankings are just one factor to consider when choosing a program, and lower ranked programs may still have excellent faculty, resources, and research opportunities that can provide a valuable learning experience.

4. How can I find out about the funding opportunities at different MSc in physics programs?

The best way to find out about funding opportunities at different MSc in physics programs is to research each program individually. Most programs will have information on their website about available funding, and you can also reach out to the program's admissions office for more information.

5. Are there other factors besides rankings that can impact the funding for an MSc in physics?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact the funding for an MSc in physics, such as the overall reputation of the institution, the strength of the program's alumni network, and the current state of the job market for physics graduates. It is important to consider all of these factors when considering funding opportunities for an MSc in physics.