Rapid Formation of the Moon: Insights from Theia Impact

In summary, according to this article, the Moon was likely formed in less than a year following the impact of two protoplanets. The article discusses the possibility that another explanation for the moon's existence exists, but the idea of collision of protoplanets fits well with what evidence exists. Additionally, the article states that accretion can progress relatively rapidly, and it is safe to assume the accretion rate had to be high to assemble some of the larger planets in such a short time frame.
Nobbstradamus
From what I've seen on shows like how the universe works and the Wikipedia article on Theia, they are saying that the moon was formed in less than a year after the impact.
My question is, how did that happen so quickly?

I am simply a fan of watching shows like that or reading articles about space. I have no degree or schooling related to this field, but I do find it quite fascinating!

Thank you in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are other plausible explanations for the existence of our Moon, but this idea of collision of protoplanets does fit well with what evidence exists, (Moon rocks largely)
I took a look at the wiki article and nothing is stated there about how long the Moon took to form following such a collision.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theia_(planet)
My intuition agrees with yours though, that less than a year for the debris to assemble into what now is our Moon seems unlikely.

Ok. I was reading this article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis#Theia

This one actually says it could have formed in less than a month!

However, I first heard this in an episode of how the universe works. In that episode, they state that it could have formed in less than a year.

Unfortunately that page won't load on my phone, so I will have to check it out when I have a chance to dust off and boot up the old laptop. Thank you though!

I have another question regarding accretion and gravity now that I'm thinking about it. Not sure if I should start a new thread though.

What prevents items from either the Kuiper Belt or the Oort cloud from forming larger bodies? The shows make it sound like these structures are leftovers from the formation of our planetary bodies and are doomed to be alone.

The same paper also discusses the energetic aftermath hypothesis where the proto-lunar disc would have endured for about a century. It is, however, true that accretion can progress fairly rapidly. We know, for example, the planets of the solar system are approximately the same age as the sun. It is safe to assume the accretion rate had to be pretty high to assemble some of the larger planets in such a short time frame. KB and Oort cloud objects are very widely dispersed so gravitational accretion would be strongly inhibited. The abundance of matter within the planetary orbits was obviously much greater facilitating more efficient gravitational accretion.

Related to Rapid Formation of the Moon: Insights from Theia Impact

What is the leading theory for the quick formation of our moon?

The leading theory for the quick formation of our moon is the Giant Impact Hypothesis. This theory suggests that around 4.5 billion years ago, a Mars-sized object collided with Earth, causing debris to be ejected into space and eventually forming the moon.

How long did it take for the moon to form?

The moon is estimated to have formed within 100 million years after the Giant Impact event. This is considered a relatively short amount of time in the grand scale of the universe.

What evidence supports the quick formation of our moon?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the quick formation of our moon is the similarity in composition between the moon and Earth's mantle. This suggests that the moon was formed from material that was once part of Earth.

Additionally, the moon's orbit and rotation are also evidence of a quick formation. The moon's orbit is tilted and eccentric, and it rotates in sync with its orbit. This is unlikely to occur if the moon formed slowly over time.

Could the quick formation of our moon have affected the development of life on Earth?

Yes, the quick formation of our moon most likely had a significant impact on the development of life on Earth. It is believed that the moon helped stabilize Earth's rotation and created tides, which may have played a role in the evolution of early life.

Is the quick formation of our moon a common occurrence in the universe?

The quick formation of moons is not uncommon in the universe. Many other planets in our solar system have moons that were formed through similar processes. Additionally, exoplanets (planets outside our solar system) have been discovered with moons, further supporting the idea of quick moon formation.