Rate of Heat Flow Homework: Qs (a-e)

In summary: The equations given involve the rate of heat transfer, surface area, and thickness of the ice. There is confusion about what the question is asking and guidance is requested.
Morteza Rahimi

Homework Statement

The same question was asked on this forum about two years ago, however I did not find any of the given answers clear. The question was the following:

A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick floating on its surface. The air temperature is -10C.

(a) What is the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice?
(b) Write the expression for the rate of heat transfer through the ice as a function of thickness of the ice?
(c) Write the expression for the rate of heat flow required to freeze the water? Hint: first find how much heat must be removed to freeze a given thickness of ice.
(d) Find the rate in cm/hr at which ice is added to the layer.
(e) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to build up?

Homework Equations

H = dQ/dt = kA(TH - TC)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
for part b, I attempted to derive H with respect to L, and got the following:

dH/dL = -kA(TH - TC)/L2

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding what the question wants from me, and would appreciate any guidance anyone provides.

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is the surface area and ##\Delta x## is the thickness of ice that gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##, what volume of ice gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##? What is the mass of ice that gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##? How much heat has to be removed from the mass during the time interval ##\Delta t## to freeze this mass of ice?

Chet

What is the rate of heat flow?

The rate of heat flow, also known as heat transfer rate, is the amount of thermal energy that is transferred per unit time. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or joules per second (J/s).

How is the rate of heat flow calculated?

The rate of heat flow is calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred (in joules) by the time it takes for the transfer to occur (in seconds). This can be represented by the equation Q/t, where Q is the amount of heat and t is the time.

What factors affect the rate of heat flow?

The rate of heat flow can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area and thickness of the objects, and the presence of any insulating materials.

What are some real-life examples of heat flow?

Heat flow can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when a hot beverage cools down, when a pan is placed on a hot stove, or when a person's body heat warms up a cold room. It is also an important concept in fields such as meteorology, geology, and engineering.

How is the rate of heat flow related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The rate of heat flow is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the Second Law which states that heat will always flow from a hotter object to a cooler object. This principle is essential for understanding how heat behaves and is transferred in various systems.