Rate of how fast a shadow grows as you walk

• MHB
  • Thread starter hatelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate Shadow
In summary: B}{dt} = 5\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s} \cdot \frac{dA}{dt} = 5\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s} \cdot \frac{dB}{dt} = 5\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s} \cdot \frac{dA}{dt} = 5\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s} = 15\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s} \]In summary, the shadow lengthens by 15 feet per second when the person moves away from the lamp post at 5 feet
hatelove
hWTgs.png

There is a lamp post 15 feet tall casting a shadow 'B' ft. long of a person that is 6 feet tall standing 'A' ft. from the lamp post. If the person moves away from the lamp post at 5 feet per second, how fast does the shadow lengthen?

So here I thought it might be something to formulate a triangle, or actually two:

qFMoJ.png

So the problem is asking me to find the derivative of the shadow's length with respect to time: [tex]\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

I think the triangles are similar:

[tex]\frac{15}{A+B} = \frac{6}{B} \\
\\
\cdots
\\
B = \frac{2}{3}A[/tex]

So we have B and I will attempt to take the derivative of this:

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = [\frac{2}{3}A]'[/tex]

Constant/Chain rules:

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{2}{3} \cdot [A'] \\
= \frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{dA}{dt}[/tex]

Now how do I find the derivative of 'A'? It must have something to do with the movement velocity because it was given information and I haven't used it yet. Unless I am being tricked and it is extraneous/unnecessary information.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done very well. Now, with your "A" and "B", the total distance from the light pole to the person is A+ B. You are told that the person is walking away from the light pole at 5 ft/s so that (A+ B)'= A'+ B'= 5 and therefore A'= 5- B'. Replace A' in your last equation with that and solve for B'.

HallsofIvy said:
You've done very well. Now, with your "A" and "B", the total distance from the light pole to the person is A+ B. You are told that the person is walking away from the light pole at 5 ft/s so that (A+ B)'= A'+ B'= 5 and therefore A'= 5- B'. Replace A' in your last equation with that and solve for B'.
The distance from the pole to the person is actually \(A\), according to the original poster's drawing.

So, daigo, if the person is moving 5 feet per second away from the post, then how fast is \(A\) increasing?

Reckoner said:
The distance from the pole to the person is actually \(A\), according to the original poster's drawing.

So, daigo, if the person is moving 5 feet per second away from the post, then how fast is \(A\) increasing?
By 5 ft./sec.? This is a constant velocity, so...this is just a slope of 0 on the y-axis since it's a horizontal line. If function 'A' is the distance traveled while going at a constant 5 ft./sec (f(A) = 5t), then the slope of a line is always going to be the same so taking the derivative of a line like '5t' would just be a constant 5, I think?

daigo said:
By 5 ft./sec.?
Yes. \(A\) is increasing by 5 ft every second. Therefore,

\[\frac{dA}{dt} = 5\ \mathrm{ft}/\mathrm{s}.\]

Now substitute this into your equation.

1. What factors affect the rate at which a shadow grows as you walk?

The rate at which a shadow grows as you walk is affected by several factors, including the angle of the sun, the distance between you and the object casting the shadow, and the speed at which you are walking. Shadows will also appear to grow faster if the object casting the shadow is closer to you.

2. Is the rate of shadow growth affected by the time of day?

Yes, the rate of shadow growth is affected by the time of day. As the sun moves across the sky, the angle at which its rays hit the ground changes, affecting the length and direction of shadows. Shadows tend to grow longer and faster in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun's rays are at a lower angle.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the rate of shadow growth?

The shape of an object can affect the rate of shadow growth. Objects with flat surfaces will cast longer shadows compared to objects with curved surfaces. This is because the angle at which the sun's rays hit the object affects the length of the shadow.

4. Is the rate of shadow growth affected by the season?

Yes, the rate of shadow growth is affected by the season. In the winter, when the sun is at a lower angle in the sky, shadows will appear longer and grow faster compared to the summer when the sun is at a higher angle. Additionally, the length of the day and the position of the sun in the sky also vary with the season, affecting the rate of shadow growth.

5. How does the type of surface affect the rate of shadow growth?

The type of surface can affect the rate of shadow growth. Smooth and reflective surfaces, such as water or glass, can create distorted or multiple shadows, making it difficult to accurately measure the rate of shadow growth. Rough and uneven surfaces, on the other hand, may cast shadows that appear to grow slower due to the irregularities in the surface.