How Fast is the Shadow Moving on Building B?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ISITIEIW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moves at a rate of 6 ft/s when the walker is halfway between the two buildings. When the walker is twelve feet away from building B, the shadow of the walker's feet moves at a rate of 25 ft/s.
ISITIEIW
A Tightrope is 40ft above ground between two buildings that are 60 feet apart. A tightrope walker starts along the rope and walks from building A to building B at a rate of 2 ft per second. 80 feet above the starting point of the tightrope walker on building A is a spotlight that is illuminating the tightrope walker as the tightrope walker is crossing between two buildings.
a)How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving along the ground when the tightrope walker is midway between the buildings?
b)How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving up the wall of building B when the tightrope walker is twelve feet away from building B?

OK ! :)
I posted a picture of what I've done so far…
I got the answer for a) but I'm having troubles with b) as you can see in the picture.. Thanks
View attachment 1623

Attachments

• math.JPG
    math.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 95
Physics news on Phys.org
The image you posted is sideways and is hard to read even when I enlarge and rotate it, but sometimes images posted from a mobile device display correctly on the device but not for those of us still using PCs. Interestingly, this problem was posted by another user earlier today, and your IP addresses are very close. :D

Anyway...I agree with what you have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{80}{x}=\frac{b}{60-x}\)

You then cross-multiplied

\(\displaystyle bx=80(60-x)=480-80x\)

I would next implicitly differentiate with respect to time $t$, bearing in mind that $b$ is a function of $t$ and so you need to use the product rule on the left side. What do you find?

Thanks,

I got b=4800/x - 80

then db/dt = -4800x^-2 (dx/dt)

and we know the values of x which equals 60-12=48 and (dx/dt)= 2

so db/dt = -25/6 ft/s

Thanks !

ISITIEIW said:
Thanks,

I got b=4800/x - 80

then db/dt = -4800x^-2 (dx/dt)

and we know the values of x which equals 60-12=48 and (dx/dt)= 2

so db/dt = -25/6 ft/s

Thanks !

If you choose (which is actually simpler) to write $b$ as a function of $x$, then you have:

\(\displaystyle b=480x^{-1}-80\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle \frac{db}{dt}=-480x^{-2}\frac{dx}{dt}\)

Your result is too large by a factor of 10, since you used 4800 instead of 480.

Um, not too sure that 480 is correct because bx= 80(60-x)
and 80 times 60 is 4800 not 480
Thanks again! :p

ISITIEIW said:
Um, not too sure that 480 is correct because bx= 80(60-x)
and 80 times 60 is 4800 not 480
Thanks again! :p

(Doh) You are absolutely right! Sorry for the confusion. I guess I am having one of those days...(Rofl)

I will go to the corner for 5 minutes. (Emo)

1. What is a rate of change?

A rate of change refers to how much a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the time elapsed.

2. How do you calculate the average rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated by finding the difference between the initial and final values of a quantity, and then dividing that difference by the time elapsed between those two values.

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a longer period of time and gives an overall picture of how much a quantity changes. The instantaneous rate of change, on the other hand, is calculated at a specific point in time and shows the rate of change at that exact moment.

4. How can rates of change be applied in real life?

Rates of change can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, rates of change are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object. In economics, rates of change are used to analyze changes in prices and market trends.

5. What are some common units for rates of change?

Some common units for rates of change include meters per second, miles per hour, dollars per hour, and degrees Celsius per minute. The specific unit used depends on the quantity being measured and the time interval being considered.