Rate of water flow into an immersed container

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of water flow into a container with a hole in it, while it is immersed in water. The factors that affect the flow, such as the force of water and the differential pressure, are mentioned. The importance of considering the initial conditions and dimensions of the system is also highlighted. The use of computational fluid dynamics is suggested for a more accurate analysis.
SonfusedCoul
Hi,
I am wondering how I may calculate the rate of water flow into a container(say, a empty box) with a hole in it, and with the whole box immersed in water. Does it have something to do with the force of water pushing against the container, and calculating how fast water can flow through the hole as a result of that force? Or do you assume the hole is a pipe of small width, and use the equation of continuity from there?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
You could consider the differential pressure available across the hole and compute the acceleration of the water needed to get it through the hole. Don't forget the rising internal pressure due to air that may be inside the empty box. It is escape of that air that may regulate the filling of the box.

Thank you for the reply!

My physics knowledge is quite limited, so I'm still unsure as to how could I find the differential pressure. Will I need to use a measurement instrument and physically measure the difference in pressure outside and inside of the box, and/or is it possible to find theoretically? I am also unsure of the equations and relationships that link the acceleration of the water to the pressure. I've tried to find some resources on this, but I've only seen posts about leakages from a container, not into one. Are there any search terms/ that I should be using for this?

There is no one equation that will answer such a hypothetical situation.
We need a better description of the system you are trying to analyse. Is it a submarine or a glass bottle?
You will need to identify the initial condition, is the box really empty or does it contain air at atmospheric pressure?
What are the dimensions and orientation, of the box and the hole?
How thick is the wall of the box at the hole?
How deep is the hole in the box below the surface? Is it submerged in sea water of fresh water?

The pressure difference is the hydrostatic pressure due to water depth at the hole, less the rising pressure inside the box as it fills.
It is easier to calculate pressures than to measure.

Unless you can better describe the problem here, the only answer will be to suggest you study computational fluid dynamics.

Likes SonfusedCoul

What is the rate of water flow into an immersed container?

The rate of water flow into an immersed container refers to the amount of water that enters the container per unit of time. This can be measured in liters per second, cubic meters per hour, or any other unit of volume per unit of time.

What factors affect the rate of water flow into an immersed container?

The rate of water flow into an immersed container is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the container, the size of the opening, the pressure of the water, and the viscosity of the liquid.

How can the rate of water flow into an immersed container be calculated?

The rate of water flow into an immersed container can be calculated by measuring the volume of water that enters the container over a specific period of time. This can be done using a measuring device such as a graduated cylinder or by using a flow meter.

What is the relationship between the rate of water flow and the height of the water in the container?

The rate of water flow into an immersed container is directly proportional to the height of the water in the container. This means that as the height of the water increases, the rate of flow also increases.

How does the rate of water flow change as the container becomes more immersed?

The rate of water flow into an immersed container increases as the container becomes more immersed. This is because the pressure of the water increases as more water is added to the container, resulting in a higher rate of flow.