Rate word problem: speed of a plane in still air and distance traveled.

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a plane in still air and the speed of the wind, given that the plane takes 6 hours to fly to its destination with the wind and 7 hours to return against the wind. The speed of the plane is 13 times the speed of the wind, and the distance traveled is unknown. Various attempts to solve the problem have resulted in equations such as x=13c and c=(1/13)(x), but it seems that some information may be missing from the problem.
Juxtaroberto

Homework Statement

So, I don't have the actual problem in front of me, but from my scribbles I can make out all the information the word problem gave. A plane flies from one place to another with the wind in 6 hours, and back against the wind, in 7 hours. The speed of the plane in still air is 13 times the speed of the wind. Find the speed of the plane in still air, the speed of the wind. Might have also asked for the distance traveled, not sure, though.

Homework Equations

d=rt

The Attempt at a Solution

I set something up like d=(x+c)(6) and d=(x-c)(7) and x=13c where d is the distance traveled, x is the speed of the plane, and c is the wind working against or for the plane. Because the first two equations are equal to d, I thought about setting them equal to each other, but all I get is either x=13c or c=(1/13)(x), which I was already told in the question. I'm assuming that this is a little different than other rate problems, because they gave me the time it took to arrive and come back, but not any of the speeds... I don't know. I've tried working on this problem in many different ways but I always end up at something like 84c=84c, which is true, of course, but which tells me nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
It feels like some information is missing from the problem. Please double check the place where you got the problem. In problems I've seen that were similar to this one, the distance was given.

What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time.

How do you find the speed of a plane in still air?

To find the speed of a plane in still air, you can use the formula: speed = (ground speed + wind speed) / 2. Alternatively, you can also use the formula: speed = distance / time, if the distance and time traveled are known.

What is the difference between ground speed and air speed?

Ground speed is the speed of an object relative to a fixed point on the ground. Air speed is the speed of an object relative to the air it is traveling through. In the case of a plane, ground speed takes into account the effect of wind, while air speed does not.

How do you calculate the distance traveled by a plane?

The distance traveled by a plane can be calculated by multiplying the speed of the plane by the time it has been traveling. The formula is distance = speed * time. Alternatively, you can also use the formula: distance = rate * time, if the rate (speed) is given.

What are some factors that can affect the speed of a plane in still air?

Some factors that can affect the speed of a plane in still air include air density, temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, and the weight of the plane. These factors can impact the air resistance and lift of the plane, which in turn affects its speed.