Ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circ

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an infinitely large circle and its properties. It is argued that there is no such thing as an infinitely large circle, and that even in theory, every circle growing bigger and bigger will stay true to its properties. The idea of generalized circles is also mentioned, as well as the potential for defining diameter and circumference in higher dimensions. The conversation ends with a mention of projective geometry and its connection to circles with centers at infinity. Ultimately, the conversation raises questions about the definition of diameter and circumference and how that may affect the value of pi.
Darkmisc
If you divided the circumference of an infinitely large circle by its diameter, would the result be pi?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as an infinitely large circle, even in theory.

Likes PeroK
There is no such thing as an infinitely large circle. For every circle growing bigger and bigger it stays true.

Edit: at least the same wording :smile:

Cheers. Thanks.

andrewkirk said:
There is no such thing as an infinitely large circle, even in theory.

There is actually. It's a straight line. Although we often call lines generalized circles instead of circles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalised_circle
Although I don't know how to give those generalized circles a diameter and circumference in general. Perhaps by going to the Riemann sphere model...

micromass said:
Perhaps by going to the Riemann sphere model...
I have thought about a solution of this kind, but couldn't imagine a sensible way to define diameter and circumference. Also projective spaces seem to be of little help. I'm quite sure that the passage to the limit as phrased in the OP would only lead to something like ##\frac{\infty}{\infty} = \pi##. But interesting to know about generalized circles. (Where the h... do you know all these exceptional and exotic stuff from? I never even came close to it.)

A thought of mine has been another generalization: What happens in higher dimensions?
If we consider ##n-##spheres, then the volume (of the surface) becomes ##V(S_r^n) = c(n) \cdot r^{n}## for some function ##c(n)##.
Then ## c(n) = 2 \pi^{\frac{n+1}{2}} \Gamma(\frac{n+1}{2})## and all the magic about the definition of ##\pi## is camouflaged by this function ##c##.
In this case we would have driven research on ##c## and ##\pi## would have been simply ##\frac{1}{2} c(1)##.
Of course the magic will return by the vast number of occurrences of ##\frac{1}{2} c(1)## and we might would have named it ##\pi##. However, the question in the OP would look rather exotic from this point of view: What happens to ##\frac{V(S_r^1)}{c(1)}## if ##r## is infinitely large?
The ##2-##dimensional world is a rather special one and so is ##\pi##. A metric at infinity appears edgy to me.

fresh_42 said:
I have thought about a solution of this kind, but couldn't imagine a sensible way to define diameter and circumference. Also projective spaces seem to be of little help. I'm quite sure that the passage to the limit as phrased in the OP would only lead to something like ##\frac{\infty}{\infty} = \pi##. But interesting to know about generalized circles. (Where the h... do you know all these exceptional and exotic stuff from? I never even came close to it.)

A thought of mine has been another generalization: What happens in higher dimensions?
If we consider ##n-##spheres, then the volume (of the surface) becomes ##V(S_r^n) = c(n) \cdot r^{n}## for some function ##c(n)##.
Then ## c(n) = 2 \pi^{\frac{n+1}{2}} \Gamma(\frac{n+1}{2})## and all the magic about the definition of ##\pi## is camouflaged by this function ##c##.
In this case we would have driven research on ##c## and ##\pi## would have been simply ##\frac{1}{2} c(1)##.
Of course the magic will return by the vast number of occurrences of ##\frac{1}{2} c(1)## and we might would have named it ##\pi##. However, the question in the OP would look rather exotic from this point of view: What happens to ##\frac{V(S_r^1)}{c(1)}## if ##r## is infinitely large?
The ##2-##dimensional world is a rather special one and so is ##\pi##. A metric at infinity appears edgy to me.

You mention some interesting stuff. Circles with centers at infinity do indeed exist in projective geometry: they consist of a normal line together with the line at infinity. I won't go into detail, but the related theory is very exciting: see "perspectives on projectie gometry" by Richter-Gebert.

I'll only say this (which is the top of the iceberg really). A circle with center ##(a,b,c)## (homogeneous coordinates and through a point ##(x,y,z)## can be described by a matrix ##M##. A point ##p=(q,r,s)## lies on the circle iff ##pMp^T = 0##. The matrix ##M## can seen to be:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} c^2 & 0 & -ac\\ 0 & c^2 & -bc\\ -ac & -bc & 2axc + 2byc - c^2 (x^2 + y^2) \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Extracting the factor ##c## and canceling it by homogenization, and then setting ##c=0## gives us
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 & -a\\ 0 & 0& -b\\ -a & -b & 2axc + 2byc \end{array}\right)[/tex]
which is a conic consisting of the line through infinity and the line at infinity.

Using the right limit process, it doesn't seem outrageous to find that the "circumference" divided by the "diameter" is again ##\pi##. But everything depends on the definition of these terms. Defining the circumference as ##\pi d##, the result is rather trivial. Using another definition for circumference might make things less trivial.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the value of the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles?

The value of the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles is equal to π (pi).

2. How is the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles different from regular circles?

The ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles is the same for all circles, while regular circles have varying ratios depending on their size.

3. Why is the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles important?

The ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles is important because it is a fundamental constant in mathematics and is used in many calculations involving circles and spheres.

4. Can the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles be measured or calculated?

Yes, the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles can be calculated using the formula π (pi) = C/d, where C is the circumference and d is the diameter.

5. Does the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles have any real-world applications?

Yes, the ratio of circumference to diameter for infinitely large circles is used in many real-world applications such as calculating the volume of spheres, determining the distance between two points on a sphere, and in navigation and map-making.