Ratio of flight times at angles 45degree +/- alpha

In summary: Good job guys!In summary, the conversation discussed the ratio of flight times of two projectiles launched at angles 45°±α. It was shown that the ratio is equal to tan 45°±α, using trigonometry and the sum and difference formulas. The conversation also touched on the correctness of the given answer and provided a short and elegant proof for the ratio using basic trigonometric relationships and identities.
negation

Homework Statement

Consider two projectiles launched on level ground with the same speed,
at [itex]angles 45°\pm \alpha[/itex].
Show that the ratio of their flight times is [itex]tan 45°\pm \alpha[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

projectile 1 launched at [itex] Θ = 45° + \alpha[/itex]:

vyf1 = vyi1 + gt
tapex1 = vyi/g
ttotal flight time1 = 2vyi1/g
= 2 vi sin (45 ° + [itex]\alpha[/itex])

projectile 2 launched at [itex] Θ = 45° - \alpha[/itex]:

vyf2 = vyi2 + gt
tapex2 = vyi2/g
ttotal flight time2 = 2vyi2/g
= = 2 vi sin (45 ° - [itex]\alpha[/itex])

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. Now write out the trigonometry!

BvU said:

I'm not sure it's correct. I mean, intuitively, tan = sin / cos.

Both of my equation for the flight time are in sin.

BvU said:

What do you mean by writing out the trigonometry?

Incidentally, the given answer is incorrect. It should be [itex](tan(45) \pm2α)=1\pm2α[/itex], and this only applies in the limit of small values of α.

You first take the ratio of the two flight times, and then apply the trig formulas for the sum and difference of two angles. Then you linearize with respect to α.

Chestermiller said:
Incidentally, the given answer is incorrect. It should be [itex](tan(45) \pm2α)=1\pm2α[/itex], and this only applies in the limit of small values of α.

You first take the ratio of the two flight times, and then apply the trig formulas for the sum and difference of two angles. Then you linearize with respect to α.

I don't think that the given answer is incorrect. ##tan(\frac{\pi}{4} + \alpha)## looks okay to me...

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
I don't think that the given answer is incorrect. ##tan(\frac{\pi}{4} + \alpha)## looks okay to me...
Wow. Very cute. I must admit, I didn't think of putting the cosine of the complement in the denominator. Well, at least I got the right answer in the limit of small α. Not very satisfying for me, however.

Chet

Gentlemen, gentlemen: tan45°±α means tan (45°±α). Of course (right, negation?). And it is not a linearization, approximation or anything. It has to do with the funny trigonometric properties of [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Write it out !

I'm not sure it's correct. I mean, intuitively, tan = sin / cos.

Both of my equation for the flight time are in sin.

Your are correct, but: intuition? If you don't believe it, look it up (or make a drawing ;-) )

Your equations are in sin, yes, they are. The ratio of the flight times is sin (45 ° + α) / sin (45 ° - α). That are sines of sum and difference, which can be written out (as the hint suggested). Something physicists and Excel users look down on, but it can be done.

Here we go: using

[itex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\alpha) = \sin(\frac{\pi}{4}) \cos\alpha + \cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) \sin\alpha =\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2} \left ( \cos\alpha + \sin\alpha \right )
[/itex] and

[itex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{4}-\alpha) = \sin(\frac{\pi}{4}) \cos\alpha - \cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) \sin\alpha =\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2} \left ( \cos\alpha - \sin\alpha \right )
[/itex] to get a ratio

[itex]\frac{ \cos\alpha + \sin\alpha}{ \cos\alpha - \sin\alpha}[/itex]

(sorry, it's been over 25 years since I last used TeX and it's a little rusty now, don't know how to get it in comparable font sizes any more)

Anyway, now divide by [itex]\cos\alpha[/itex] above and below to get a ratio

[itex]\frac{ 1+ \tan\alpha}{ 1- \tan\alpha} =\frac{ \tan\frac{\pi}{4} + \tan\alpha}{ 1-\tan\frac{\pi}{4} \tan\alpha} [/itex]

If we remember (or look up, as I had to do)

[itex]\tan(\gamma+\alpha) = \frac{\tan\gamma + \tan\alpha} {1- \tan\gamma \tan\alpha}[/itex] we see that they are the same !

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen: tan45°±α means tan (45°±α). Of course (right, negation?). And it is not a linearization, approximation or anything. It has to do with the funny trigonometric properties of [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Write it out !

Your are correct, but: intuition? If you don't believe it, look it up (or make a drawing ;-) )

Your equations are in sin, yes, they are. The ratio of the flight times is sin (45 ° + α) / sin (45 ° - α). That are sines of sum and difference, which can be written out (as the hint suggested). Something physicists and Excel users look down on, but it can be done.

Here we go: using

[itex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\alpha) = \sin(\frac{\pi}{4}) \cos\alpha + \cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) \sin\alpha =\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2} \left ( \cos\alpha + \sin\alpha \right )
[/itex] and

[itex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{4}-\alpha) = \sin(\frac{\pi}{4}) \cos\alpha - \cos(\frac{\pi}{4}) \sin\alpha =\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2} \left ( \cos\alpha - \sin\alpha \right )
[/itex] to get a ratio

[itex]\frac{ \cos\alpha + \sin\alpha}{ \cos\alpha - \sin\alpha}[/itex]

(sorry, it's been over 25 years since I last used TeX and it's a little rusty now, don't know how to get it in comparable font sizes any more)

[itex]\frac{ 1+ \tan\alpha}{ 1- \tan\alpha} =\frac{ \tan\frac{\pi}{4} + \tan\alpha}{ 1-\tan\frac{\pi}{4} \tan\alpha} [/itex]

If we remember (or look up, as I had to do)

[itex]\tan(\gamma+\alpha) = \frac{\tan\gamma + \tan\alpha} {1- \tan\gamma \tan\alpha}[/itex] we see that they are the same !
Gneill implied something much more elegant:

[tex]\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\sin(\frac{π}{4}-α)}=\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\cos(\frac{π}{2}-(\frac{π}{4}-α))}=\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\cos(\frac{π}{4}+α)}=\tan(\frac{π}{4}+α)[/tex]

I love it! Missed the implication because I had it more or less worked out last night and was too sleepy to catch that. Anyway, dusting off old sum rules was a good thing.
Working back from the answer would have increased the chance of finding this very short proof...
And doodling with a plot of sin(x) and cos(x) probably also would have helped...

BvU said:
I love it! Missed the implication because I had it more or less worked out last night and was too sleepy to catch that. Anyway, dusting off old sum rules was a good thing.
Working back from the answer would have increased the chance of finding this very short proof...
And doodling with a plot of sin(x) and cos(x) probably also would have helped...

:smile: Good advice! Problem solving epiphanies often spring from dredging up the basic trig function relationships and identities. All those courses one thought done and dusted in the prerequisites course list regularly turn out to be a goldmine for these "aha!" moments.

I'm not sure negation has a satisfied feeling about all this help going over his head. How is it ?

Chestermiller said:
Gneill implied something much more elegant:

[tex]\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\sin(\frac{π}{4}-α)}=\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\cos(\frac{π}{2}-(\frac{π}{4}-α))}=\frac{\sin(\frac{π}{4}+α)}{\cos(\frac{π}{4}+α)}=\tan(\frac{π}{4}+α)[/tex]

I must admit to the elegance and simplicity of the above equation. It's a good refresher. I had the time of flight in symbolic form for both particles fired at an arbitrary deviation of +/- alpha but couldn't reduce the ratio to the intended identity.

BvU said:
I'm not sure negation has a satisfied feeling about all this help going over his head. How is it ?

I just got home from work. I'll be looking it through after taking a shower.

BvU said:

Can I not multiply by cos(a) + sin(a)?

Would it help ?

BvU said:
Would it help ?

You're right. It's not an appropriate step to arriving at the intended identity.

negation said:
You're right. It's not an appropriate step to arriving at the intended identity.

I understand how 1+ tan(a) is tautological to tan(pi/4) + tan(a)
but how does 1 - tan(a) = 1 - tan(pi/4) tan (a)?

tan(pi/4) = 1, so you can replace a 1 with this guy anywhere you want...

BvU said:
tan(pi/4) = 1, so you can replace a 1 with this guy anywhere you want...

I know and which I did.

However, 1 + tan (a) : 1 - tan(a) = tan (pi/4 + a) : tan (pi/4 - a)

gives me [tan(pi/4) + tan(a)]/1 - tan(pi/4)tan(a) : [tan(pi/4) - tan(a)]/1 + tan(pi/4)tan(a)

I'm unable to reduce it further.

However, 1 + tan (a) : 1 - tan(a) = tan (pi/4 + a) : tan (pi/4 - a)
This is new. Where did that = come from ?

I remember writing

which was exactly the expression for [itex]\tan(\gamma+\alpha)[/itex] with [itex]\gamma=\frac{\pi}{4} [/itex].

And the [itex]\pm[/itex] only comes in because for the ratio of a and b one can write a/b but also b/a.
I leave it to you to deduce that [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4}+\alpha)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4}-\alpha)[/itex]

BvU said:

I remember writing

which was exactly the expression for [itex]\tan(\gamma+\alpha)[/itex] with [itex]\gamma=\frac{\pi}{4} [/itex].

And the [itex]\pm[/itex] only comes in because for the ratio of a and b one can write a/b but also b/a.
I leave it to you to deduce that [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4}+\alpha)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4}-\alpha)[/itex]

tan(pi/4 + a) = [tan(pi/4) + tan(a)]/[1 - tan(pi/4) tan(a)] This is understandable.
But from your post you equated [1 + tan(x)]/[1 - tan(x)] = [1 - tan(pi/4) tan(a)], how does
[1 - tan(x)] = [1 - tan(pi/4) tan(a)] follow from [1 + tan(x)]/[1 - tan(x)]?

BvU said:

I remember writing

Got it.

What is the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha?

The ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha is determined by dividing the flight time at angle 45 degree by the flight time at angle 45 degree plus or minus alpha. This ratio can vary depending on factors such as air resistance and launch velocity.

How is the angle alpha determined in this ratio?

The angle alpha is determined by the difference between the launch angle and the angle at which the object is launched. For example, if an object is launched at an angle of 45 degrees and the angle alpha is 10 degrees, then the object is launched at an angle of 35 degrees.

What factors can affect the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha?

The ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, launch velocity, and the mass of the object. The angle alpha can also have an impact on the ratio, as it determines the launch angle of the object.

What is the significance of studying the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha?

Studying the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha can provide insight into how different factors affect the flight of an object. This information can be useful in fields such as aerodynamics and aviation, where understanding flight patterns and dynamics is crucial.

Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha?

Yes, the mathematical formula for calculating the ratio of flight times at angles 45 degree +/- alpha is: (Flight time at 45 degree) / (Flight time at 45 degree +/- alpha). This formula can be applied to any object launched at an angle of 45 degrees with a given angle alpha.