Ratio of size of prototype and model

In summary, a geometrically similar open channel model with a scale ratio of 10:1 was constructed. If the model discharged 7m^3/s, the corresponding discharge in the prototype can be calculated using the equation Q = (L^3)/T. By assuming that the characteristic length in the prototype is 10 times that of the model, the discharge in the prototype can be calculated as 875 m^3/s. However, the correct ratio of the prototype to model length must be determined to accurately calculate the discharge.
welovephysics

Homework Statement

a gemoetrical similar open chanel model is constructed with 10: 1 , if the model discharged 7m^3 /s , what is the corresponding discharge in prototype?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = (L^3) / T ,
[ (Lp^3)/ (Tp) ] / [ (Lm^3) / Tm ] = (Lr^3) / Tr
[/B]

but , i assume (Lr^3 ) = (Lp^3) / (Lm^3)

so , Qp = (5^3) x 7 = 875 m^3 /s , is it correct ?
or it should be (1/125 ) x 7 = 7/725 m^3 /s ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain your reasoning... I am not following your notation.

If we say that the flow rate in the model is q = kr^3/T (here k is a constant of proportionality, r is a characteristic length, and T is time) and the flow rate in the prototype is Q=kR^3/T ... then Q/q=?? and R/r=??

Likes welovephysics
Simon Bridge said:

If we say that the flow rate in the model is q = kr^3/T (here k is a constant of proportionality, r is a characteristic length, and T is time) and the flow rate in the prototype is Q=kR^3/T ... then Q/q=?? and R/r=??
no , i use Q= (L^3) / T , so Qr = (Lr^3) / Tr , am i right ?
where Lr= Lp / Lm , Tr = Tp/ Tm

Simon Bridge said:

i am not sure Lp / Lm or Lm / Lp = 10 ... can you explain ?

I don't know what your variables mean: you have to tell me. If you do not answer questions I cannot help you.

Guessing: Q=L^3/T where Q is the flow rate, L is some characteristic length, and T is time.
Is this correct?

Are you using two-letter variable names (this is bad practise)?
So that Qm is the flow rate through the model?

Thus Qm = Lm^3/T and Qp=Lp^3/T for the model and the prototype respectively.
Thus: complete the following: Qp/Qm =?? and Lp/Lm=??

Consider: which is usually smaller - the scale model or the prototype?

Likes welovephysics
Simon Bridge said:
I don't know what your variables mean: you have to tell me. If you do not answer questions I cannot help you.

Guessing: Q=L^3/T where Q is the flow rate, L is some characteristic length, and T is time.
Is this correct?

Are you using two-letter variable names (this is bad practise)?
So that Qm is the flow rate through the model?

Thus Qm = Lm^3/T and Qp=Lp^3/T for the model and the prototype respectively.
Thus: complete the following: Qp/Qm =?? and Lp/Lm=??

Consider: which is usually smaller - the scale model or the prototype?
scale model

i want to find the Qm thru the relationship of Qp / Qm = (Lr^3) / Tr ,
where Tr = Tp / Tm , Lr = Lp / Lm

so , Qp = (5^3) x 7 = 875 m^3 /s ,

i want to find the Qm thru the relationship of Qp / Qm = (Lr^3) / Tr ,
where Tr = Tp / Tm , Lr = Lp / Lm
If you do not tell me what these letters mean I cannot help you.
Don't make me guess!

Likes welovephysics
Simon Bridge said:
Don't make me guess!
Q = flow rate , T = time , L = length

Simon Bridge said:
Don't make me guess!
Tr = ratio of time of prototype to model , Lr = ratio of length of prototype to model , Qr = ratio of flow rate of prototype to model

OK: use the same time period to measure Qm and Qp, so Tr=1.

Likes welovephysics
Simon Bridge said:
OK: use the same time period to measure Qm and Qp, so Tr=1.
ya , i know that . for the scale ratio 10; 1 , it means Lp / Lm = 10 ?
or Lm / Lp = 10 ? i am confused.

for the scale ratio 10; 1 , it means Lp / Lm = 10 or Lm / Lp = 10 ? i am confused.
... you can work it out: you have already said that the prototype has to be bigger than the model.
This means that Lp > Lm
Lp/Lm = 10 means Lp=10*Lm
Lm/Lp = 10 means Lm=10*Lp
... so which is right? Which one means that Lp > Lm?

Likes welovephysics
Simon Bridge said:
... you can work it out: you have already said that the prototype has to be bigger than the model.
This means that Lp > Lm
Lp/Lm = 10 means Lp=10*Lm
Lm/Lp = 10 means Lm=10*Lp
... so which is right? Which one means that Lp > Lm?
so , the prototype must be bigger than the model ??

What is the purpose of determining the ratio of size between a prototype and a model?

The purpose of determining the ratio of size between a prototype and a model is to accurately represent the final product or system in a smaller scale. This allows for testing and evaluation of the design before investing time and resources into the full-scale version.

How is the ratio of size between a prototype and a model calculated?

The ratio of size is typically calculated by dividing the actual size of the prototype by the size of the model. For example, if the prototype is 10 inches and the model is 2 inches, the ratio would be 10:2 or 5:1.

What factors should be considered when determining the ratio of size between a prototype and a model?

Some factors to consider when determining the ratio of size between a prototype and a model include the level of detail needed, the materials being used, and the purpose of the model (e.g. for display or for testing).

Is it necessary to maintain the same ratio of size between a prototype and a model?

It is not always necessary to maintain the exact same ratio of size between a prototype and a model. Depending on the purpose of the model, it may be beneficial to modify the ratio to better suit the needs of the project.

Can the ratio of size between a prototype and a model affect the accuracy of the final product?

Yes, the ratio of size can have an impact on the accuracy of the final product. If the ratio is not accurately determined or maintained, it can result in discrepancies between the prototype and the final product. It is important to carefully consider and calculate the ratio to ensure the final product is as accurate as possible.