Ratio of the Magnitude of gravitational force?

In summary, the magnitude of the gravitational force between a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the Earth and the Earth itself is 36.37 N. The magnitude of the gravitational force between the same mass on the surface of the Earth and the moon is 1.285×10-4 N. The ratio of the gravitational force between the sun and the mass on the surface of the Earth to the force between the moon and the mass is 1.99×1035. This can be calculated using the equation F=GMm/r^2.
Albert24
1. Homework Statement
Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the Earth and a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the earth. The distance to the center of the Earth from the surface is 6370 km and the mass of the Earth is 5.98·1024.
That gave me 36.37 N

Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the moon and a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the Earth nearest to the moon. The distance to the center of the moon from the surface of the Earth is 376,000 km and the mass of the moon is 7.36·1022 kg.
That gave me 1.285×10-4 N

Calculate the ratio of the magnitude of the gravitational force between a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the Earth due to the sun to that due to the moon. The mass of the sun is 1.99·1030 kg and the distance from the center of the sun to the surface of the Earth is 1.50·108 km. ?

2. Homework Equations

F=GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand the problem, is it asking what is the magnitude of the gravitonial force between the mass and the sun taking in count the gravitational force between sun anf the moon? In that case the ratio=
GM1m2/r^2/GM1m2/r^2 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Albert24 said:
1. Homework Statement
Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the Earth and a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the earth. The distance to the center of the Earth from the surface is 6370 km and the mass of the Earth is 5.98·1024.
That gave me 36.37 N

Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the moon and a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the Earth nearest to the moon. The distance to the center of the moon from the surface of the Earth is 376,000 km and the mass of the moon is 7.36·1022 kg.
That gave me 1.285×10-4 N

Calculate the ratio of the magnitude of the gravitational force between a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the Earth due to the sun to that due to the moon. The mass of the sun is 1.99·1030 kg and the distance from the center of the sun to the surface of the Earth is 1.50·108 km. ?

2. Homework Equations

F=GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand the problem, is it asking what is the magnitude of the gravitonial force between the mass and the sun taking in count the gravitational force between sun anf the moon? In that case the ratio=
GM1m2/r^2/GM1m2/r^2 ??
No, the problem is asking what is the gravitational force between the sun and a 3.7 kg mass on the surface of the earth. Call this force Fsun.
You calculated the gravitational force between this same object on the Earth's surface due to the moon, Fmoon, to be 1.285×10-4 N.

What is the ratio Fsun / Fmoon ?

Thanks it was 171 N

Albert24 said:
Thanks it was 171 N
Can't be.

1. A ratio of two forces has no units.
2. You're saying that the force exerted by the sun on an object sitting on the Earth is orders of magnitude greater than what Earth's gravity exerts on that same object.
Do you think that's reasonable?

SteamKing said:
2. You're saying that the force exerted by the sun on an object sitting on the Earth is orders of magnitude greater than what Earth's gravity exerts on that same object.
Do you think that's reasonable?
It's the ratio of the Sun's force to the Moon's force on an object located near the surface of the Earth.

I am sorry you are right there are no units they cancel out, since I was working with forces I had Newton in mind :smile:

What is the "Ratio of the Magnitude of Gravitational Force"?

The ratio of the magnitude of gravitational force is a measure of the strength of the gravitational attraction between two objects. It is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the gravitational force between the two objects by the product of their masses.

How is the "Ratio of the Magnitude of Gravitational Force" calculated?

The ratio of the magnitude of gravitational force is calculated by using the equation F = G (m1m2/r^2), where F is the magnitude of the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for the "Ratio of the Magnitude of Gravitational Force"?

The unit of measurement for the ratio of the magnitude of gravitational force is newtons per kilogram squared (N/kg^2) or meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How does distance affect the "Ratio of the Magnitude of Gravitational Force"?

The ratio of the magnitude of gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the ratio decreases, resulting in a weaker gravitational force.

What is the significance of the "Ratio of the Magnitude of Gravitational Force" in the study of gravity?

The ratio of the magnitude of gravitational force is a fundamental concept in the study of gravity. It helps us understand the strength of the gravitational force between two objects and its dependence on the masses and distance between them. This ratio is also used in many scientific fields, such as astrophysics, to calculate the gravitational forces between celestial bodies.