Ray tracing in the movie Interstellar

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Boyer-Lindquist coordinates for the Kerr metric and the introduction of a camera-fixed basis for spherical coordinates to track the directions of light rays relative to the camera. The conversation also mentions the derivation of geodesic equations in Boyer-Linquist coordinates and the implementation of these equations in python for calculating the maximum time dilation around a Kerr black hole. The conversation concludes with the resolution of an error in the code.
etotheipi
https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03808

They are using Boyer-Lindquist coordinates for the Kerr metric. As far as I understand they also introduced a camera-fixed basis defining spherical coordinates ##\theta_{cs}## and ##\phi_{cs}## to keep track of the directions of the light rays relative to the camera. Then from this they worked out the canonical momenta of the light rays and could finally solve numerically the following ray equations to figure out the source point ##(\theta', \phi')## of the rays on the celestial sphere:

1620237798354.png

I would like to know how these equations are derived? There is a reference to Gravitation by Misner/Thorne/Wheeler but I don't have that and don't think I'd know where to look in any case!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but Kraniotis et al derive geodesic equations in Boyer-Linquist coordinates. I don't think they do the last step into a local frame, but that doesn't seem too hard if you have the camera worldline.

• Wow
Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but Kraniotis et al derive geodesic equations in Boyer-Linquist coordinates. I don't think they do the last step into a local frame, but that doesn't seem too hard if you have the camera worldline.
Gosh, that looks slightly scary! Thanks, okay I'll try and follow it. But I'm worried that I won't be able to get very far. :nb)

etotheipi said:
Gosh, that looks slightly scary! Thanks, okay I'll try and follow it. But I'm worried that I won't be able to get very far. :nb)
I must say that I just implemented the equations in python...

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
I must say that I just implemented the equations in python...
Wait actually? That's sick! What for (if it's not confidential :wink:)?

Fun, what else? :smile:

We did have a go at trying to work out the maximum time dilation you could get out of free-falling round a Kerr black hole. I used it for that - I think it was Steven Daryl who asked the question if you want to go looking for it.

Hey Ibix I don't know if I'm being slightly stupid but I tried to run your thing and I got:

Code:
Trying escape trajectory - L=0.0
Trying escape trajectory - L=19.77811071962939
Found - beginning optimisation
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "kerr.py", line 189, in <module>
optimiseLaunches(KerrEquatorialSpacetime(1,0.99),4)
File "kerr.py", line 176, in optimiseLaunches
optimiseLaunch(st,E,Lcra,Lesc,"Best_"+str(E)+"_Max_")
File "kerr.py", line 143, in optimiseLaunch
orbitData=st.orbit(TIMELIKE,INWARD,E,Ltry,10*RM,15*RM,0.001,1000)
NameError: name 'RM' is not defined

Somewhere between the st=KerrOrbitalSpacetime(whatever) line and the st.orbit(whatever) line, add the line RM=st.radiusM(). (Edit: or just copy the whole program from the thread again - the bug isn't in that version *cough*.)

Note that I wrote that program in python 2. I guess you've got python 3. You may find it doesn't work, although the differences aren't huge for this kind of programming.

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory and etotheipi
Thanks! It works, wooooo 😄

1620242994812.png

Likes Leo Liu and Ibix

1. What is ray tracing in the movie Interstellar?

Ray tracing in the movie Interstellar is a technique used in computer graphics to create realistic lighting and reflections in a scene. It works by simulating the path of light rays as they interact with objects in the scene, resulting in more accurate and lifelike images.

2. How was ray tracing used in Interstellar?

In Interstellar, ray tracing was used extensively to create the stunning visual effects of space and otherworldly environments. It was particularly important in depicting the black hole and its effects on light and space-time, as well as creating realistic reflections and lighting in the spacecraft and other objects.

3. What makes ray tracing different from other CGI techniques?

Unlike traditional CGI techniques, ray tracing calculates the path of light rays in a scene, taking into account factors such as reflections, refractions, and shadows. This results in more realistic and accurate images, but also requires significantly more computing power and time to render.

4. How does ray tracing contribute to the overall visual experience of Interstellar?

Ray tracing played a crucial role in creating the breathtaking visuals of Interstellar, from the vastness of space to the intricate details of the spacecraft. It added a level of realism and immersion that would not have been possible with traditional CGI techniques, making the movie a visually stunning and unforgettable experience.

5. What advancements in technology were necessary for the use of ray tracing in Interstellar?

The use of ray tracing in Interstellar was made possible by advancements in computer processing power and graphics technology. This allowed for complex calculations and simulations of light behavior, resulting in the stunning and realistic visuals seen in the movie.