Rayleigh number for vertical cylinder with free convection

In summary, when simulating the cooling behavior of liquid aluminum in a vertical cylinder, you will need to decide between using laminar or turbulent solvers. The Rayleigh number, which is a measure of the strength of buoyancy forces, will be influenced by the height of the cylinder. As for the Nusselt number, it can be calculated using empirical correlations and you may find helpful literature from the original researchers Nusselt, Grashof, and Prandtl. Best of luck with your project!
SSeth
Hi @ all,

i want to simulate the cooling behavior of liquid aluminum in a vertical cylinder(simplified geometry of a real transport crucible), the cylinder is cooled down by the surrounding air from all sides, from top and from buttom, i expect free convection in the liquid

to simulate this i have to decide between laminar or tubulent solvers.

i want to decide this by the rayleigh numer Ra>10^9 =turbulent

but i have a problem, i have lots of literature for the convection !around! a cylinder but zero for the convection !inside! a vertical cylinder,

so what is the characteristic length for the rayleigh number !inside! an vertical cylinder? the diameter or height? do i have to take into account the top and the buttom if yes how?

the correlation equation for D/L>=35/Gr^(1/4) is valid by the way,

if you know a relation/ literature for the nusselt number in this situation, it would be helpful

thx @ all any kind of help is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have a very interesting research project on your hands. Deciding between laminar or turbulent solvers will depend on the level of accuracy and complexity you want in your simulation. In general, laminar solvers are simpler and faster, but may not capture all the nuances of the fluid behavior. Turbulent solvers, on the other hand, are more complex and computationally demanding, but can provide more accurate results.

In terms of the Rayleigh number, it is typically defined as the product of the Grashof number (a measure of the relative strength of buoyancy and viscous forces) and the Prandtl number (a measure of the relative strength of thermal diffusion and momentum diffusion). In the case of free convection in a vertical cylinder, the characteristic length for the Rayleigh number would be the height of the cylinder. This is because the height of the cylinder will have a significant impact on the buoyancy forces and thus the overall convection behavior.

As for the Nusselt number, this represents the ratio of convective heat transfer to conductive heat transfer and can be calculated using empirical correlations. I would suggest looking into the work of Nusselt himself, as well as the work of Grashof and Prandtl, for more information and literature on the subject.

I hope this helps and good luck with your simulation!

1. What is the Rayleigh number for a vertical cylinder with free convection?

The Rayleigh number for a vertical cylinder with free convection is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of buoyancy forces to viscous forces. It is given by the equation Ra = (gβΔTDL^3)/(να), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, β is the thermal expansion coefficient, ΔT is the temperature difference, D is the diameter of the cylinder, L is the height of the cylinder, ν is the kinematic viscosity, and α is the thermal diffusivity.

2. How is the Rayleigh number related to convection?

The Rayleigh number is a measure of the strength of convection in a fluid. Higher values of the Rayleigh number indicate more vigorous convection, while lower values indicate less convection. This is because convection is driven by the buoyancy force, which is directly proportional to the Rayleigh number.

3. What is the significance of the Rayleigh number in heat transfer?

The Rayleigh number is an important parameter in heat transfer, particularly in convection. It determines the type of heat transfer that will occur in a system, whether it is conduction, convection, or a combination of both. A high Rayleigh number indicates that convection will dominate, while a low Rayleigh number indicates that conduction will dominate.

4. How does the Rayleigh number affect the stability of a fluid?

The Rayleigh number plays a critical role in determining the stability of a fluid. In general, a higher Rayleigh number leads to more instability and turbulence in the fluid. This is because a high Rayleigh number indicates that the buoyancy force is strong enough to overcome the viscous forces and drive convection, which can lead to chaotic motion and instability in the fluid.

5. How can the Rayleigh number be used to predict flow patterns in a vertical cylinder?

The Rayleigh number is a useful tool for predicting flow patterns in a vertical cylinder with free convection. As the Rayleigh number increases, the flow transitions from a smooth, laminar flow to a more turbulent flow with eddies and vortices. By calculating the Rayleigh number, we can determine the critical value at which this transition occurs, and predict the flow patterns that will be present in the cylinder.