Rayleigh quotient Eigenvalues for a simple ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of eigenvalues via Rayleigh quotient in the context of a given ODE. It is mentioned that the Rayleigh quotient only holds for admissible functions that satisfy certain conditions. The conversation also delves into the use of trial functions and the min max theorem for estimating eigenvalues.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Given the ODE $$f'' = -\lambda f : f(0)=f(1)=0$$ we know ##f_n = \sin (n\pi x), \lambda_n = (n\pi)^2##. Estimating eigenvalues via Rayleigh quotient implies $$\lambda_n \leq R_n \equiv -\frac{(\phi''_n,\phi_n)}{(\phi_n,\phi_n)}$$
where ##\phi_n## are the trial functions. Does the quotient hold for all ##n\in\mathbb N##? It seems like it should (I haven't seen the proof so maybe not), but if I let ##\phi_n=x(1-x^n)## then ##R_2 = 10.5## which is larger than ##(2\pi)^2##. What am I doing (understanding) wrong?

Also, the Rayleigh quotient only holds for admissible functions, right (i.e. functions satisfying ##\phi(0)=\phi(1)=0## which are sufficiently smooth)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Given the ODE $$f'' = -\lambda f : f(0)=f(1)=0$$ we know ##f_n = \sin (n\pi x), \lambda_n = (n\pi)^2##. Estimating eigenvalues via Rayleigh quotient implies $$\lambda_n \leq R_n \equiv -\frac{(\phi''_n,\phi_n)}{(\phi_n,\phi_n)}$$
where ##\phi_n## are the trial functions. Does the quotient hold for all ##n\in\mathbb N##? It seems like it should (I haven't seen the proof so maybe not), but if I let ##\phi_n=x(1-x^n)## then ##R_2 = 10.5## which is larger than ##(2\pi)^2##. What am I doing (understanding) wrong?
The Rayleigh quotient doesn't quite work like that. Let ##R[\phi] = - (\phi^{\prime\prime},\phi)/(\phi,\phi)## be the Rayleigh quotient. If we order the eigenvalues ##\lambda_1 < \lambda_2 < …## then $$ \lambda_1 = \min_{\phi} R[\phi],$$ where the minimization is over all admissible functions. The function ##\phi_1## that yields ##\lambda_1 = R[\phi_1]## is then the eigenfunction associated with the eigenvalue ##\lambda_1##. For your example, you can use a trial function of ##\phi = x(1-x^n)## and compute ##R[x(1-x^n)]## which is just a function of ##n##. The Rayleigh quotient just tells you $$\lambda_1 \leq \min_n R[x(1-x^n)].$$ You should do this and show us what you get.

If you want to find ##\lambda_2## then you cannot blindly minimize the Rayleigh quotient with a different trial function. The most straightforward option for estimating ##\lambda_2## is to use the fact that $$\lambda_2 = \min_{\phi, \, (\phi, \phi_1)=0} R[\phi],$$ where now the minimization is over all admissible functions that are orthogonal to the first eigenvector. Of course this requires you to know the first eigenvector. Another option is to use the min max theorem (see the section on self-adjoint operators at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min-max_theorem), which doesn't require you to know the first eigenvector but is not exactly simple.
joshmccraney said:
Also, the Rayleigh quotient only holds for admissible functions, right (i.e. functions satisfying ##\phi(0)=\phi(1)=0## which are sufficiently smooth)?
yes

hope that helped,

Likes Delta2 and member 428835

1. What is the Rayleigh quotient for Eigenvalues in a simple ODE?

The Rayleigh quotient is a mathematical tool used to find the Eigenvalues of a matrix in a simple ODE (ordinary differential equation). It is defined as the ratio of the dot product of the matrix with a given vector to the dot product of the vector with itself.

2. How does the Rayleigh quotient help in finding Eigenvalues?

The Rayleigh quotient provides an efficient and accurate method for finding Eigenvalues in a simple ODE. By using the quotient, we can avoid having to solve the characteristic polynomial equation, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

3. Can the Rayleigh quotient be used for any matrix in a simple ODE?

Yes, the Rayleigh quotient can be used for any square matrix in a simple ODE. It is a general method that can be applied to both real and complex matrices, as long as they are symmetric or Hermitian.

4. What are the advantages of using the Rayleigh quotient for finding Eigenvalues?

The Rayleigh quotient offers several advantages, such as being computationally efficient, providing accurate results, and being applicable to a wide range of matrices. It also allows for the determination of multiple Eigenvalues simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Rayleigh quotient for Eigenvalues?

While the Rayleigh quotient is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for symmetric or Hermitian matrices, and it may not work well for matrices with extremely small or large Eigenvalues. Additionally, it may not yield all the Eigenvalues of a matrix, so other methods may need to be used in combination.