Rayleigh Scattering: Learn About It Here

In summary: This is called Raleigh Scattering (or, more generally, Rayleigh Scattering). The light that is scattered by the particles is then what we see as scattered light.
gianeshwar
Regarding Raleigh Scattering (Wikipedia)
"The oscillating electric field of a light wave acts on the charges within a particle, causing them to move at the same frequency. The particle therefore becomes a small radiating dipole whose radiation we see as scattered light"
Please anyone give simple explanation!

Mentors note: Post split off from another thread into its own.

Science news on Phys.org
I wonder can I get away with an ASCII diagram? I'll try ...

There is a light ray coming in from the left. It hits a molecule of N2 or O2. This molecule vibrates and radiates energy in all directions. So the energy which originally was in a ray with a set direction, becomes converted into radiation going in all directions.

⟶⟶⟶✳Actually, I'm willing to bet that the textbook from where you lifted your quoted text would have had an accompanying diagram similar to what I've attempted.

Does that diagram look blue to you? It's just cut and pasted, so any colour is mystifying. oo)

Is that a diagram? All I see is 3 blue boxes with an X in them and a star.

Drakkith said:
Is that a diagram? All I see is 3 blue boxes with an X in them and a star.
UTF-8 character encoding I think. You'll just have to use your imagination!

The original explanation is already as simple as it gets. What part do you need explained?

Light is an electromagnetic wave. That means it consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The electric field component will cause electrons in a media, e.g. a particle, to move with the same frequency and in the same direction as the electric field vector of the light's electromagnetic wave.
These oscillating charges then form a new source of light -- a dipole source -- that radiates with the same frequency = color as the original light.

1. What is Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is a phenomenon in which light particles are scattered in all directions by small particles in the Earth's atmosphere, such as molecules of nitrogen and oxygen. This scattering causes the sky to appear blue during the day and red during sunrise and sunset.

2. How does Rayleigh scattering work?

Rayleigh scattering occurs when light particles, or photons, interact with particles in the atmosphere that are smaller than the wavelength of the light. These particles absorb and then re-emit the light in all directions, causing the scattering effect. The amount of scattering depends on the size and number of particles in the atmosphere.

3. What is the difference between Rayleigh scattering and Mie scattering?

Rayleigh scattering occurs when particles in the atmosphere are smaller than the wavelength of the light, while Mie scattering occurs when particles are larger. Mie scattering is responsible for creating white clouds and fog, while Rayleigh scattering is responsible for the blue color of the sky.

4. Why is Rayleigh scattering important?

Rayleigh scattering is important for several reasons. It helps to explain the colors we see in the sky during different times of day, and it also plays a role in climate and weather patterns. Additionally, Rayleigh scattering is used in various technologies, such as satellite imaging and remote sensing, to gather information about the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Can Rayleigh scattering be observed in other environments besides Earth's atmosphere?

Yes, Rayleigh scattering can occur in other environments besides Earth's atmosphere. It can also occur in other gases, liquids, and solids, as long as there are particles present that are smaller than the wavelength of the light. This phenomenon has been observed on other planets and even in interstellar space.