RC discharge into an LR circuit

In summary, the conversation is about creating the characteristic equation of the voltage for a capacitor in a RC circuit connected to a LR circuit. The circuit is initially charged and then discharged through the RL circuit. The equation should be in the form of V(t) = A1es1t + A2es2t, but it's uncertain if it is a true RLC circuit or just a RC connected to RL. The actual values for the components are also mentioned. The speaker is seeking help in solving for A1, A2, s1, and s2 and understanding the equations.
tml10
Hello,
I am working on a creating the characteristic equation (in general terms) of the voltage (and current, but not as important) for the capacitor in a RC connected to a LR. The RC circuit is initially charge (say has been connected to a power supply for all time before t = 0) and at t = 0 a switch is flipped and connects the RC to the RL, and allows the RC to do a DC discharge through the RL.

The circuit description in terms of nodes (pSpice convention):
C1 goes from nodes 1 to 0 (0 being ground, and C1 has an initial charge of Vi)
R1 goes from nodes 1 to 2
switch goes from nodes 2 to 3 (and is flipped at t = 0)
L1 goes from nodes 3 to 4
R2 goes from nodes 4 to 0

From simulation with the actual values I know this is an over damped circuit so the form of the equation should look like
V(t) = A1es1t + A2es2t
but I don't know if I can say it is a true RLC, or if I have to say it is a RC connected to an RL.

Any help to solve for A1, A2, s1, and s2 would be very, very helpful. Or telling me what is wrong with my theory would be great too. Thank you in advance!

Travis

p.s. - if you have the time, and are able to help, a walk through of how you obtained the equations would help me understand. Thanks!

p.s.s. - the actual values are as follows
C1 = 1.236 mF
R1 = 50.48 mΩ
L1 = 1.35 μH
R2 = 10.5 mΩ

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's been many years and this is not my speciality, but
At t=0
C=1.236 mF
R=60.98
L=1.35μH
Voltage C=Vi
Current=0

Back when I was doing this, didn't use spice, just wrote the equations up in Basic. Results seemed to be correct.

What is an RC discharge into an LR circuit?

An RC discharge into an LR circuit refers to the process of a capacitor discharging its stored energy into an inductor within a circuit. This creates a transient current flow and a change in voltage across the circuit.

What is the time constant of an RC discharge into an LR circuit?

The time constant of an RC discharge into an LR circuit is the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit, or RC. It represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to approximately 37% of its initial voltage.

What happens to the current in an RC discharge into an LR circuit?

The current in an RC discharge into an LR circuit initially increases as the capacitor discharges its stored energy into the inductor. As the current reaches its maximum value, the inductor begins to resist the flow of current, causing it to decrease. Eventually, the current will reach zero as the capacitor fully discharges and the inductor becomes fully charged.

What is the relationship between the voltage across the capacitor and the inductor in an RC discharge into an LR circuit?

The voltage across the capacitor and the inductor in an RC discharge into an LR circuit have an inverse relationship. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it decreases while the voltage across the inductor increases. Once the capacitor is fully discharged, the voltage across it is zero and the voltage across the inductor is at its maximum.

How does the presence of resistance affect an RC discharge into an LR circuit?

The presence of resistance in an RC discharge into an LR circuit causes the current to decrease more quickly and the voltage across the inductor to increase more slowly. This is because the resistance limits the flow of current and dissipates some of the energy, resulting in a shorter time constant and a less oscillatory response in the circuit.